No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: heavy glass ashtray  (Read 2249 times)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
heavy glass ashtray
« on: June 08, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »
Hello.  This is a heavy glass ashtray which I've had for over 30 years.  Since I've been getting interested in glass I looked at it with new eyes and noticed what a great design it is.  The top 'working' glass is flat while the underside has the design cut out of it.  What is clever is that each little recess to hold cigarettes is of a different size, suggesting (to me at least) that it could be used for cigars and roll-ups too.

It measures approx 5.5" x 4" x 1.5".  Have I been stubbing out my fags on a masterpiece?!

Nancy

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: heavy glass ashtray
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 04:42:36 PM »
The pattern bears a strong resemblance to this Frantisek Peceny vase: http://www.antiques-international.ch/sklo_d/index.php?entry=entry090516-105553
But I don't know if there was an ashtray from this range...

Michael

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 05:09:52 PM »
Thanks for the link Michael.  You're right, they are quite similar -- I'll have a good old search!

Nancy
Nancy

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 05:21:27 PM »
Michael is right.  It is a Peceny piece...  see Jindrich's website:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/FrantisekPeceny?authkey=Gv1sRgCMCJrvCc9qfeTw#5443345850205139330

:hi:

Edited to add: The link above can be reached though Jindrich's website here:  http://www.cs-sklo.cz/
If you click on "Autori (Designers)", select "O-P", then "Pečený František" and click on "František Pečený Sklo Union", you will be directed to the catalogue.  :)

Lovely ashtray, Nancy.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »
WOW!  How did you manage that?  What great news . . . a real designer piece.  I am so chuffed!  Thank you so much.

Nancy
Nancy

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:02:27 PM »
Thanks for the additional info Anik.  I'm just so pleased about the result.  I never gave that ashtray a second thought until recently, but will keep using it as Mr Peceny intended!

Nancy
Nancy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand