Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > British & Irish Glass

Coronation 1953 Vase

<< < (4/5) > >>

Bernard C:
Nigel — When I first read your book, that piece on p50 elicited a huge "WOW! — BRILLIANT!".   I had already thought that the most likely attribution of this rather mundane vase was a Continental glassworks via a factor like Lang, and hadn't considered the possibility of a British maker.   Only two criticisms:

* You assumed that we all knew Jack L. Barnett Ltd.   Was this firm an associate of Barnett & Foster, the big Bolton and London bottlemakers who relocated to Wellingborough, or quite a different company?   Did they manufacture glass themselves?
* Your final few words after "thus".   What you say may be true, but I would have preferred "thus escaping purchase tax."
Had you asked me before I read this topic, I would have replied that a Bagley attribution was impossible.   Why on earth would a modern sophisticated and successful pressed glass department of a large bottle works produce such an old-fashioned design?   I will be interested to see Angela's evidence.

Bernard C.  8)

Lustrousstone:
Did we ever hear from Angela?

Hajdamach says in 20th Century British Glass p 268 that the Festival of Britain vase was marketed by importer Jack L. Barnett as part of it Barnook range. I assume that importers did not necessarily sell only imported goods.

David E:
Just bumping this topic in the hope that someone can actually confirm the ID of this celery vase. Did Bagley produce Festival of Britain items? Stuck in Holland without my books ATM!

Bernard C:

--- Quote from: David E on October 15, 2012, 08:40:27 PM ---...   Did Bagley produce Festival of Britain items?   ...
--- End quote ---

David — Yes, butter pat 3016, same mould as the Royal Visit pair.

Bernard C.  8)

Anne:
Oh why didn't I see this yesterday? I could've asked Angela whilst she was here. She's gone off to see the Bagleys tonight.  I'll try and contact her.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version