No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart herringbone decoration ?  (Read 5158 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Monart herringbone decoration ?
« on: June 09, 2011, 08:30:11 PM »
I bought this Monart DF shape bowl at my local auction house, what I would like to know, is this type of decoration known as "herringbone". The bottom half is clear glass and white graduating to pink and clear glass with gold aventurine. The coloured spirals start from the centre of the bowl and finish at the rim and criss cross each other.
Gary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Monart herringbone decoration ?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 09:39:24 PM »
Basically yes, see here http://www.ysartglass.com/Moncat/PageStyles.htm but note the style was not named herringbone.

But you certainly got a delightful and very rare piece there.

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 04:12:24 PM »
Thanks Frank for the quick reply and info. The bonus was it only cost £120 (hammer price), with a catalogue estimate of £200-£300. A small problem I have, is how to display it to it's best, as it is fairly large bowl at 33.5cm wide. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Gary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 11:39:35 PM »
As it is shown is the best way. Big bowls are a real beggar to display but with something as good as this you have a real centre point for your collection. There are few pieces you will ever find that can out 'look' such a piece and if you have a main display, try and set it central and with a LED white spotlight on it. I am amazed you got it so cheaply, at 300 it was a bargain, as I would put into the top ten of Monart I have seen, and I have seen a lot. Must have been a bad day for thye auctioneers and a great day for Gary! Well done laddie! :sc: :sc: :sc: :sc: :sc:

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 11:29:01 AM »
Hi Gary,
           nice piece, any chance of a picture of the pontil, colour looks very Perthshire Paperweights, i have bowls and vases in this colourway
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 08:32:05 PM »
Hi Gary here is a photo of pontil, not a very good and is the best after many attempts. I will try and discribe it, the outer base rim is polished smooth the pontil mark is concaved smooth with none of the original pontil left. Not unlike the mark an ice cream scoop leaves in the ice cream.
I have N shaped vase with a post war label that is coloured in the same shade of white and pink.
Gary

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:28:38 PM »
i take it thats its a concave pontil, i have a few P/Ps bowls same shape with stripes in same colourway, have to look them out and take pics to post, they are very similar, ive been away from Ysart glass for around 4 to 6 years, cant really remember now, seem to have got the bug again in the last few weeks, i used to be more into my lamps and unusal pieces but sold about 35 lamps over the last three years mostly private, ranging from tulips to mushrooms and pedestal lamps, still have around 20 i suppose that ive kept with a few rare examples, might look them out sometime and take some pics,

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 12:44:53 AM »
Ah! PP that never occurred to me. Would certainly make senses of the unusual colours. I had no idea Chic Young used dip moulds. Could you count the number of lines in each direction please Gary. And Gary (Millarart) can you count any examples you have. Chances are this would prove the case as Chic would be unlikely to have had the original Monart dip moulds. Of course chance could result in the same number  :thud:

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 01:39:07 PM »
frank i will if i can find them, put most of my glass in storage as Adele was moaning about it taking over the house  :ho:, all of it is bubble wrapped and boxed, didnt have the brains like i used to and write a list to stick to box like i used to back in my ysart buying days, and have so many boxes so might not be for a long time yet, think i have around 60 to 70 P/Ps pieces all different colourways per shape (no two same shape has same colourway), i will ask Keith as well :phew:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 11:23:53 PM »
...Adele was moaning about it taking over the house  :ho:, ...

That is what it is supposed to do duuuh!  :thud: :wsh:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand