No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart herringbone decoration ?  (Read 5156 times)

Offline millarart

• Members
Re: Monart herringbone decoration ?
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 05:35:42 AM »
That is what it is supposed to do duuuh!  :thud: :wsh:
oh but it did, at one point it took over ours , my mas and my grans :sc:
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 09:25:28 AM »
I think Michael's given up a bit on the "putting it away" lark. He put up all my sitting room shelves - I got some glass on them, then, naturally, started filling up all the space created. He bought me crates and bubble-wrap (he'd thrown out all the stuff I'd collected), I packed them up, they were put away, and naturally, started filling up all the space this created........ nature hates a vacuum.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 11:31:23 AM »
There is 20 lines of the shorter vertical and 19 or 20 :-\ of the longer spiral lines.
Gary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 03:12:58 PM »
Probably both 20, would have used the same mould for both sets of lines. But on this case it is not useful to distinguish maker  :-\

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,10140.0.html

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 09:56:10 PM »
Hi Gary,
           nice piece, any chance of a picture of the pontil, colour looks very Perthshire Paperweights, i have bowls and vases in this colourway
Ah! PP that never occurred to me. Would certainly make senses of the unusual colours. I had no idea Chic Young used dip moulds.
The link below takes you to an Ian Turner  Monart piece which has the same decoration and colours as my DF bowl. Also I have Monart vase (post war) in the same colours.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unusual-possibly-unique-Monart-Vase-/331058503880?pt=UK_Art_
Gary

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 08:37:25 PM »
as soon as I saw the vase ian put on ebay the first thing that came to mind is Perthshire aswell, colourways mean nothing as I have several pieces of Perthshire that the colours look same as monart, im still sure that your bowl and the vase ian sold are Perthshire and not monart

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 08:42:36 PM »
oh and even ian wasn't sure if his was Monart, and that's saying something coming from a guy who had thousands of pieces through his hands, am sticking to Perthshire, whaen I was in chic youngs house years ago doing the article that's on ysart glass site on chic young himself he had several pieces of Perthshire with applied feet and in colourways that I still havent came across myself yet all these years later, and I have nearing 100 pieces of Perthshire and my mate around half of that ,

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 08:48:55 PM »
There must have been a mould capable of forming ribs at, or borrowed by Strathearn, if this helps in any way at all. ;D

I bought a large, clear yellow Strathearn bowl with optic ribbing a couple of years ago.
(I'm not even sure I didn't post it here, given optic ribbing is rather unusual in Ysart glass.  ???)

I gave it to my brother, but I do have pics somewhere, so the ribs can be counted. I will look a pic out and come back with it later.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 09:10:18 PM »
yeah I seen your piece sue but yours was ribbed which you could feel these pieces are striped but not raised

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »
I've just found the pics - but it's hard to tell how many ribs.

Would it have been a similar mould used to add stripes as to make ribs?

The mould would add the shape - but further blowing and working could make it turn out quite different in a finished piece.

I'm just very curious about any info. with regard to any moulds used or not. It has always seemed odd to me that I've only ever seen this one bit of optic moulded Ysart glass - even if it is as late as Strathearn (my favourite Ysart glass)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand