No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars vase - what colour?  (Read 4249 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Whitefriars vase - what colour?
« on: February 04, 2006, 07:46:32 PM »
Bought two vases today at adjacent charity shops, a 6" Whitefriars bark vase in sage green.
I have tried to check the prices of the Whitefriars on Ebay but unable to find the colour on current and completed auctions, is it a rare colour?
Can anyone advise please :?:
http://i1.tinypic.com/n53cbd.jpg Mod: Pics gone, please restore
Flash picture not the best, sorry.
Cheers,
Bryn (not Brian)

Mod: The images from this post have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
No bargains today methinks.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 09:05:31 PM »
Hi,
Very difficult to see the colour clearly, but my guesses would be willow, pewter, or cinnamon (in that order).  The pewter would be a grey colour the willow would be a muddy grey/green colour and the cinnamon would be a brown colour. Hope this helps.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 09:26:04 PM »
Hi Pat , thanks for your help but I now think the colour is willow , I thought it was a very rare  sage green but now having checked the Jackson Whitefriars book Willow seems the most likely. I bought it very late this afternoon under flourescent lighting and really thought it was sage. I will check again tomorrow in daylight :oops: when I should get a better idea. :roll:
Cheers,
Bryn (not Brian)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 09:34:22 PM »
Hi Bryn,
This is a great place to check out Whitefriars auction prices.

http://whitefriarsorg.org/mf/index.php?act=SC&c=13

They have a few in Willow and a couple in Sage too.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 11:03:21 PM »
Hi Della,
Thanks a bunch, that is a great site. I have registered and intend to use it regularly.
I am still confused between the two greens though, I was going to list it on Ebay but I will certainly need the full light of day to determine it's true hue. :D
Cheers and thanks again,
Bryn (not Brian)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 11:08:43 PM »
No thanks necessary Bryn. My knowledge is very limited on the glass front and it is always nice to be able to give something back.

Please keep us updated or post a photo of the vase under daylight conditions.
I hope it is sage. :lol:  :lol:

I just love it whatever the colour, as my passion is textured glass.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 02:52:29 AM »
I think your bark vase is willow - sage is just that bit brighter and more green.

Here is a willow coloured 'coffin vase' (rarer shape) of mine to compare it to - photographed with a natural light source - sold for just under £100.00 in 2004

It is a great bargain in my estimation, a very collectable colour and prices have steadily risen

The Skrufs vase is fantastic, by Lars Hellsten I think c1970 - he went on to work for Orrefors in 1972 continuing with very similar designs - It is at a premium because of his name and because it has a label - fantastic at £5.00

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 12:33:42 PM »
Hi,
Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry for the delay but I've been out hunting the boots again this morning.
Here's  a new photo which I think show's the colour as being Willow as you suggested. I have added a couple of Austrian vases that I picked up this morning for £6. I deliberately made the picture brighter to show the Bark vase colour.
http://i1.tinypic.com/n69b45.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/n69bgp.jpg
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Bryn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand