No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The Studio Year Book 46 - Riihimaki, Ekenas, Holmegaard, etc  (Read 5468 times)

Offline David555

• Members
The Studio Year Book 46 - Riihimaki, Ekenas, Holmegaard, etc
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 03:35:28 PM »
Thanks Della

I have invited Charlotte to the board, but I think she must be a very busy woman.

The Taschen books IMHO are not totally complete, but are a very cheap alternative to a set of Studio Year Books - that is mentioned by Ivo above.

I need to also make it clear the email is from an author/researcher and not from or linked to any specific publisher (I need to add this for legal reasons and to protect Charlotte).

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 08:35:53 PM »
Hi Adam is right in that copyright of the magazines has run out... although I am not sure if the recent changes put it back in copyright. The 25 year used to be known as Industrial copyright and there is still a version of that. Bear in mind that US copyright law applies globally and that can be really nasty as corporates are buying rights of everything.

However, with the photographs there is a slightly different situation. If the photographers are acknowledged then they have full artist copyright. Posting on the web could cost you a few bob if they find out - the solution is quite simple. Check each magazine for any reference to the photographers and if any mentioned try and write to them with a copy of relenat images, there are various registers of copyright holders but not very accessible. If your letter comes back store it unopened. You have them nade every attempt to contact the copyright owner. Add a note to display with image 'Copyright (unknown or name) attempted to trace, please contact if you know them' and you should be covered. Unless it is Walt Disney of course :twisted:

A company going bust does not break copyright, if the rights are sold as part of the wind-up then someone else still has them otherwise they become the property (UK) of the Duchy of Cornwall - but I doubt Charlie the Nose has a clue what he owns from that source :?

Just a clarification, the publisher owns the copyright of the presentation and any content originated by the publishers staff but all other material belongs to the author or photographer for the full artist period. Yes it covers the text too and authors are much easier to track down.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 09:49:34 PM »
Many thanks Frank

Charlotte mentions this
photographers can come out of the woodwork

That was a very helpful post in light of this - I will endeavour to find out the photographers names - I think a fair few from the 40s and 50s are no longer with us, but there is always there family - if mentioned in the magazine I will try and contact them. After every attempt with no response I will indeed write on image 'Copyright (unknown or name) attempted to trace, please contact if you know them' - that is an excellent way of expressing it.

I won't post any more magazine images until further investigation.

I hope I can find an easy route for getting in touch with photographers of the images - the magazines sometimes give the photographer, the Studio Year Books do not - I will just have to write to various authorities as above and ask if they have information - then after a period of time post with above statement.

I guess this goes for all images from the time frame I am talking about regardless of the publications demise?

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 10:17:09 PM »
Adam, I'm sure I've read that there are Photographers' Yearbooks, listing working pro photographers. Good reference libraries should have these I'd think.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2006, 01:08:57 AM »
Thanks Anne

That reminds me - Glasgow has one of the best reference libraries in Europe, so I should be able to do some good research there (it's five minutes away from where I live)

The famous 'Mitchell Library'

I am sure they have the full Studio Magazine run and also have experts I can talk to about the photographers copyright on older publications - I was there about six months ago and they were very helpful.

Adam P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand