No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard or Polish items?  (Read 5332 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Holmegaard or Polish items?
« on: February 04, 2006, 10:30:05 PM »
This could be polish rather than Holmegaard. The colour matches my Holmegaard canister. The jug is 7 inches high and weighs 910 grams.  The glasses are 3.5 inches high and they weigh 200 grams each. Lots of ware to the base of the glasses.

This is probably not Holmegaard but the shape is similar, though my bowl is a bit flatter. 14 inches in length and it weighs an impressive 1860 grams. Some ware to the base. It's dark blue in the middle and gradually turns into a turquoise colour towards the rim.

I'm just checking to see if this really is a genuine Holmegaard flower holder with an MB (Michael Bang) monogram. Also, if it is, how old might it be and what sizes did they come in? This one is 7 inches high. Thanks

Many Thanks.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 11:13:34 PM »
Hi Tigger,

Here is your green vase with the original Holmegaard sticker;
http://www.pottery.dk/Holmegaard%20mb.jpg
Will keep surfing for the others.

P.S. It is known as a "Hulvas" or "Hulvaser" (not sure if the second one is the plural of...)and was made in at least 3 sizes; 7.3 + 10.6 +13.4 cm
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 12:04:20 AM »
Thanks a lot Deltab. Interesting, it seems as though they're made in clear glass as well. I wonder if they made them in other colours too.  :D

I love this board.  :D
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 08:02:22 AM »
I don't think the jug matches the glasses which are factory produced by Durobor, Belgium in the 70s and 80s.
the blue dish looks uneven and a bit shoddy, so I think it is Romanian or Chinese.
And the dark green flower holder, as you found out, is indeed Holmegaard.

Online Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 08:06:02 AM »
Quote from: "Deltab"

P.S. It is known as a "Hulvas" or "Hulvaser" (not sure if the second one is the plural of...)and was made in at least 3 sizes; 7.3 + 10.6 +13.4 cm

There was also a version that you could hang from your ceiling, as well as one that was adapted into a lamp. They were released in clear, green and brown glass. Oh, and they were designed by Michael Bang. :)

Your lemonade set isn't Holmegaard, though.  :(  If you hold the tumblers up to the light, do you get a slight purple tinge to the base? It's not a means of identifying them - I was just wondering if the colour was a smokey amethyst or smokey brown (a la your 1930's Holmegaard) - because the two can look quite similar side-by-side.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 10:26:10 AM »
Thank you Ivo and Pinkspoons.  :D

Ah ha, the jug and the glasses were bought in the same shop but they weren't together. I presumed that they went together, silly me.  :lol:

I have updated the photo of the blue dish as it was showing all the things you can't see. Sorry about the bad photo. It does have a lot of tiny bubbles in it so I think it could be Chinese/Romanian as you say.  :)

As for the hanging lamps, wow, I'd love to have a set of those. You'll have me collecting lamps now.  :lol:

There are no purple tinges to the glasses. I paid 10p each for them and 50p for the jug. I found a crack on the jug when I got it home so i'm quite relieved that it's not Holmegaard.  :D

Online Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 11:10:35 AM »
You misunderstood me, TigerChips - I meant that there was a hanging version of the vase, and also a table lamp version.  :lol:

Although a hanging lamp would be fun.  :D

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 07:30:56 AM »

Online Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 08:33:22 AM »
I've only got a neck-glass:

I've never actually used it, though... and it's a bit impractical to display, so it mostly just sits in its box, unfortunately. The hanging vases are a little more difficult to get your mits on - in the UK, anyway. They rarely come onto eBay, so I assume they're equally as rare elsewhere. :(

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 10:30:37 AM »
Quote from: "Pinkspoons"
The hanging vases are a little more difficult to get your mits on - in the UK, anyway. They rarely come onto eBay, so I assume they're equally as rare elsewhere. :(

I don't think many survived. you can only hang them properly or keep them in a fruit bowl, otherwise they roll all over the place.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand