No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with an ID please!  (Read 3396 times)

Offline CathyG

• Members
Help with an ID please!
« on: February 05, 2006, 12:36:56 AM »
Picked this up today! It's a light smoke color on the top and then it's crystal where the millefiori is. It's 5 1/4" across at the widest point and stands 2" high. polished bottom. Any help is always greatly appreciated.

CathyG

Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
A Source for Mid Century Art Glass
Lots of Blenko!

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Help with an ID please!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 10:00:01 PM »
Hi CahtyG!
Believe this is actually by Archimede Seguso.
I had bought 1 from a collector online, who knows his stuff, and he said it was infact Seguso. I havent seen 1 with a Seguso label, but I trust the guys opinion.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline CathyG

• Members
Help with an ID please!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 11:53:37 PM »
Hi Javier!

Thanks for replying. I was getting a little anxious... I too got an ID as Archimede Seguso 1950's from a great guy that I trust. So now that you have responded with the same...I think I can safely say it's Archimede Seguso!

CathyG
Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
Lots of Blenko!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Help with an ID please!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 01:14:12 AM »
One of the fun things about research and identity is that "categories" of glass cross various boundaries. In this case, "Murano Glass" and "Paperweights". Occasionally something like this bowl is a joy to see since it immediately suggests other questions, such as ...

If items like the bowl shown are Seguso (and I am not saying anything to contradict this, as I really have no idea myself) does anyone here know for sure if Seguso pulled their own canes? If they did not, then how is the Seguso attribution confirmed - other than by the trusted reputation of the person making that Id?

If the canes are known to be Seguso, then they become very useful for identifying (and perhaps also dating?) paperweights. In which case, any examples like this would be useful to cross-post to the Paperweight forum for information.

If Seguso did not make the canes then we are left with the usual problem of who supplied them.
KevinH

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Help with an ID please!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 07:35:48 AM »
Hi CathyG,
Glad to know you had the same info....

and KevH,
Im really not sure if Seguso had their own canes.
Maybe the new Seguso book will have some of that information.
I know the Fratelli Toso book has 4 pages worth of canes on the inside of the book, so maybe the Seguso one will have something similar.  
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
Help with an ID please!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 05:48:20 PM »
Some years ago when I was visiting the Archimede Seguso workshop, I was talking with his son Livio and I was told then that the reason Seguso cane work pieces both paperweights and bowls are relatively scarce in comparison to their other production is that the canes were all their own, but the time involved in what his father found creatively stiffling pieces was too much. A real example of horses for courses as a couple of the pieces I've had certainly stand up as beautiful and I think this little bowl is no exception.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline CathyG

• Members
Help with an ID please!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 09:57:36 PM »
That's really intresting Paul, thanks for your input.

CathyG
Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
Lots of Blenko!

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Help with an ID please!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 10:23:33 AM »
Thank you so much Paul for that insight!
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand