No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Streaky brown tricorn solifleur vase - ID = Mtarfa  (Read 3749 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Streaky brown tricorn solifleur vase - ID = Mtarfa
« on: January 25, 2008, 04:56:22 PM »
Anyone got any ideas on this vase?  It came with a group of modern studio glass - Mdina, Glasform and Selkirk plus this one.  On first glance, I thought the pattern looked very like a silver chloride streaked Mdina Earthtones, but I can't find the shape in Mark's book. Also the base is not clean polished like Mdina, it has been left lightly frosted, no signature that I have found either to the base or around the very edge.

Height approx 6.5 ins 170mm.  Another thought, I don't know that it is heavy or thick enough for Mdina unless some is known to be lighter than usual?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Streaky brown tricorn solifleur vase
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 05:07:41 PM »
Mtarfa also produced similar colours, but a matte base does not usually figure. Not all Mtarfa is signed, and early pieces might have been left blank.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 05:14:31 PM »
Not all Mdina is signed of course either David.  But you know what I mean, you handle a piece and it just doesn't feel quite right for that factory? 

The feel and weight of the glass actually feels far more like the Peter Layton pieces I have had recently, but the base isn't like his either. I am wondering if it might be a very modern studio piece ?  But isn't the tendency these days to always sign and date studio pieces? 

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 05:50:37 PM »
But isn't the tendency these days to always sign and date studio pieces? 

Unless the maker is dissatisfied in some way with the piece - in other words, considers it a 'second'!  I have several beautiful pieces of glass by our very own dear Adam A which are unsigned because HE calls them 'seconds'  ::)  whereas I consider them to be quite wonderful!  :D  Some have a tiny fault (or what he sees as such  ;)), and some just simply didn't turn out as he intended!   
Leni

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 05:52:21 PM »
That's true Leni - and with glass so temperamental, I would expect that most makers, no matter how skilled, had more than a few pieces that didn't turn out the way they expected!!

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »
This one might be solved as Mtarfa if you all agree it looks similar enough?

I was corresponding on a very similar vase on Marktplaats with the seller, who suddenly metioned that it was signed as well, but that he couldn't read it, and he later attached a picture of the base with the Mtarfa signature.

See the link here: http://link.marktplaats.nl/456625389

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 04:46:28 PM »
 >:D
I hope you're going to be listing this.  :-*
It's absolutely a gorgeous bit of early Mtarfa - the colourway I collect!

but Astrid, eeeeek!  :thud:
I don't really think a consensus of opinion is good enough for a proper attribution - that's one of the ways myths get started and perpetuated, and once these things get going they can be impossible to stop. Then complete confusion reigns when the correct information does come to light.  :spls:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 09:11:16 PM »
OK, I'll just say that the thread piece is also Mtarfa, based on the similarity with the signed piece, consensus or not :)

Btw Sue, if you'd want to acquire it for your collection, I'm quite willing to prod the buyer to see if he's willing to ship to the UK. It will be about 15-20 euro shipping, though. I'm not going to bid any further myself, so you wouldn't be in my way. I really want to concentrate my funds on Czech and German, and if I have to bid 20 or more, I'm out for this one (even though it looks to be a good piece).

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 10:59:50 AM »
 :-[ :-[ :-[
Astrid, I must apologise!

I didn't read your comments as they were intended, I missed the link you put in and I didn't see you had found the same vase, marked!

I thought you were saying that as because a few folk seemed to think it was Mtarfa - that was enough to attribute it! :thud: :thud: :thud:

I am very sorry indeed!

Thanks for your kind offer though,  :-*  but I think the postage makes it a bit too expensive.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand