No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My first Mdina mushroom... :)  (Read 4750 times)

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
Re: My first Mdina mushroom... :)
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 02:49:50 PM »
No need to apologise Anik it just puzzled me. The explanation still doesn't make sense though as Harris only worked there for a short period of time and the items are made in Malta.

I wonder what nationality the Boffos or the other owners were. Perhaps glass from their periods should be placed in the section appropriate to their place of birth if the logic is followed through.

Still I am grateful for the explanation and will not scratch my head next time I see some Mdina in here.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 03:01:37 PM »
The Boffos were Italian although they'd worked at whitefriars for a long time before going to Mdina. Ettore died before Harris left Malta and Vicente.... may have stayed at Mdina for a short while, (this information is proving very difficult to find out) before being forced to work for Malta Decorative Glass - a very short-lived company, set up by the Maltese government with Chinese backing. They had assumed that as MH could get a glass industry going with just one glassmaker and a few completely naieve apprentices, that anybody could.   :thud:

Harris may have only worked there for a short time - but the business has survived and still thrives using his original designs, (although there is no recognition given to him by the factory at all) and it was he who taught the apprentices there (before the Boffos arrived).
Said has owned it outright since '85, he is Maltese.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 03:09:58 PM »
I think I should muddy the waters some more. >:D

I can see the logic of putting Mdina in this section while Michael Harris was involved but after he left in 1972 and Eric Dobson a few years later it is harder to justify, especially in terms of personnel, geographically, well :nogos:.

As long as there is somewhere to call home...... ;D

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
I tend to agree - thinking of it as British-ish until circa '75. After that, it's Maltese (unless it's Michael Harris' designs)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 05:21:57 PM »
Malta was also part of the British Empire for 164 years 1800-1964.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 05:27:44 PM »
But there were still tax advantages to British folk for setting up industries when Michael Harris went there in '68. Mintoff even let Eric Dobson stay on, after MH went, as his business accumen was still needed.
Nobody knows how long he did actually stay on. He has also been impossible to track down, nobody knows where he went or what he did after Mdina.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 12:51:46 PM »
My Mdina mushroom has now got a little birdie friend, in the same colourway.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand