No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My first Mdina mushroom... :)  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
My first Mdina mushroom... :)
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:14:42 PM »
I got my very first Mdina mushroom today...  it's a handsome little thing (8cm tall) but quite heavy at 395g.  It's orange with some yellow, red and brown cased in quite a thick layer of clear.  Though I did search the board, I haven't seen another one in the same colours.

Could someone tell me more about it?  I've included a photo of the label.  Thank you!  :hi:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: My first Mdina mushroom... :)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:34:46 PM »
Nice one, Anik!
Unusual colourway, and fairly sophisticated splodgy, I'd reckon it's probably early '70s, possibly "post-Harris, but before Said took over in '75, while Eric Dobson was in charge", at a guess.

I tend to put the "yellow and orange together splodgy" in a different class to other later splodgy stuff which uses far simpler colour combinations - yellow and orange are both notoriously difficult colours to work.

I have no confirmation that the yellow/orange combination is Dobson period, it is pure speculation and observation and my own judging of the quality of the pieces from the different periods.

It's a lovely shape too, I like the bulgy bottom.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 12:59:08 PM »
congratulations Anik  -  a very nice find, and lovely colours :)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:29:53 PM »
Sue, thank you for your observations... you're exactly the person I was hoping to hear from. :kissy:   (I even had a good giggle -- early 70s and bulgy... just like me  ;D)

And Paul, thank you for the kind words as well.  Zbyś also thinks the colours are lovely.  He even offered to find the perfect place to display the mushroom.  After some contemplation and looking at the living room shelves from different angles (with more maturity than I ever thought a 10-year-old boy could muster), he decided to put the piece on the shelf which is at eye level when we sit on the couch.  Beside a little glass hedgehog. In front of two wooden bowls with outdoors scenes carved into the sides. A perfectly good place. :)

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 10:40:12 PM »
After some contemplation and looking at the living room shelves from different angles (with more maturity than I ever thought a 10-year-old boy could muster), he decided to put the piece on the shelf which is at eye level when we sit on the couch.  Beside a little glass hedgehog. In front of two wooden bowls with outdoors scenes carved into the sides. A perfectly good place. :)

He's making a scene. I LOVE it! What a lovely boy you have (okay, you might argue that on occasion, but...)

Carolyn

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 03:35:41 AM »
 ;D  Nothing like a child to give you great joy and ulcers...  :24:

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 12:18:22 PM »
Since when has Mdina been British glass?

:huh:
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 02:13:29 PM »
I greatly apologize for assaulting your senses by posting my Mdina piece into the British glass section.  I wrongly believed that since the founder of Mdina was British, this was the board to post in.  I'll know better next time. 

:hi:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 02:18:32 PM »
And Charles Hajdamach saw fit to put Mdina on the cover of his 20th Century Glass book.
(It's a real shame though, that none of the bits featured on the cover are actually from the period he was still there. :spls: )

I agree, as Michael Harris was a British artist, his work and designs are also British, even if actually made in Malta.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 02:19:47 PM »
Mdina is one of those oddities which is included in British because of Michael Harris - it shows up the difficulty of categorising glass by place of making, something which the board's Committee is reviewing. Meanwhile, we carry on as before...  :ha:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand