No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scottish cartwheel ID  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Roger H

• Members
Scottish cartwheel ID
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:55:01 PM »
       Hi all, found this recently in an "antique" shop. My first reaction was vasart but the base does not match these as it has a broken off pontil and left as such. Another interesting point is that the maker has tried to place bubbles symetrically within the setup. The canes are not supersonic but the setup is pretty accurate. Moncrieff period of working maybe. Diameter 3.1 inches,height 2.1 inches. Any thoughts on this. One top view photo on this post. Regards Roger.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Scottish cartwheel ID
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 07:03:17 PM »
Roger, there are a number points here ...

1. "Moncrieff period" is meaningless with regard to Vasart. Ysart Brothers Glass (trading as "Vasart") was formed when Salvador and two of the sons left Moncrieff's in 1946. Vasart Ltd was formed in 1956 as a continuation of Ysart Brothers Glass but under new mangament.

2. The air bubbles, although sometimes seeming to be intentional, are not - unless they are set well above the cane layer, in which case I might retract that point. Air bubbles will easily form if there is any sort on indent between canes and that is what I believe has happened in your weight. Sometimes, there are air bubbles in Vasart weights at almost every point of connection between canes!

3. I would need to see a photo of the base to comment on the pontil scar, but I would agree that not even being rough ground would be unusual, but it would not surprise me too much.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:40:28 PM »
       Thanks Kevin,I did look very carefully through your web pages for vasart ID previous to the posting. What I meant by Moncrieff period but didn't explain very well was the time period when the whole family of Ysarts worked at the factory (1922-1946). Does that make more sense? I understand what you mean by the bubbles forming in almost symmetrical fashion due to the process at that time. The glass has a definite grey tinge but not dark. Photo of pontil mark uploaded. Regards Roger.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 11:39:07 PM »
Unfortunately the base finish (or lack of it) does not indicate anything specific to me.

All of the "Ysart" millefiori weights in my collection which show under UV as pre-Vasart Ltd have a look that is different from the general appearance of so many Vasart Ltd items. A main difference is that in Vasart Ltd weights the canes often show as "long" lengths rising above the coloured ground and the canes are usually separated from each other. In Ysart Brothers period (or earlier?) weights, the canes can appear to be "long-ish" but they are not so pronounced as in the Vasart Ltd items and they are also set closer together, apart from a few, such as the occasional "spaced cane" design weight.

It would require a short wave UV check to decide if your weight is, in fact, earlier than Vasart Ltd, but I doubt it is. It could, in theory, be very early Strathearn Glass, but there is no way I know to determine the difference for those!
KevinH

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 02:15:58 PM »
        Muchas gracias senor, as said in several parts of the earth. I can see how difficult it is to pinpoint even a specific decade for many weights and gives many hours of interest even trying to do so. I haven't seriously been looking into the history of the ysarts for very long but have aquired a long wave lamp recently and a short wave is on order to try and narrow down the possibilities. Regards Roger.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 06:04:58 PM »
Which make of short wave lamp have you ordered?

If it is one of those battery-powered ones widely, and cheaply, available on the internet, often supplied out of Germany, be careful when you first use it. Some of them had an on/off switch that did not work properly or even worse were stuck in the on position! And the on/off switch has no indicator to say which is on and off!!

I had one that was "always on" - but did not realise it until I put the batteries in. Fortunately, the bulb (pre-installed) was facing away from me when I put the end cap on and completed the circuit. Direct short wave uv and eyes do not mix happily.
KevinH

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 10:21:29 PM »
     Thanks for the warning, it can be a dangerous item if mishandled. The make is "IMPORTA", batteries yes. Its good to advertise the possible dangers are real.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand