No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: unusual Caithness bowl  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
unusual Caithness bowl
« on: June 17, 2011, 04:17:45 PM »
Something I know absolutely nothing about - although I see shed loads on my travels but, compared with pieces I see, this just looks so untypical of Caithness, and I only know it's from Scotland because it has the back stamp (sandblasted).    Best described as a frosted/small bubbled effect, within the thickness of the glass (which is very thick), and the rim is ground/polished/bevelled.     I have looked on eaby etc. but don't see this pattern, so grateful if someone can give me an indication of age and perhaps name of design.       Height is about 4.25" - 110mm.    There is some wear, so don't think it's that recent, and regret to say there is a small chip on the rim.   Thanks for looking. :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: unusual Caithness bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:34:05 PM »
It's clearly about time you had a good look here, Paul. You need the Scotland's Glass site - not ebay!
I've helped you a bit, got the right page.  :thup:
It's the Glassware link (850 items) you need to trawl through, but you might see a lot of interesting stuff long the way.
http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=159&Itemid=6
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: unusual Caithness bowl
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 05:04:55 PM »
thanks very much Sue  -  need to make just one more post, eat a piece of Janet's cream sponge cake that she's just made and have a cup of tea, and will then come back on this.    Will also probably watch today's 'Secret Dealers' while I'm down there  -  does anyone else catch the programme?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand