No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large cloudy bubbly swirly vase - Nazeing? ID = S&W/Royal Brierley  (Read 7969 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I hope I'm listing this in the right section - I think this could be a Nazeing vase?  
It is bright pink with some orange especially a layer of orange visible above the clear casing on the base.    It has white swirls in it and on the interior you can feel the bubbles and texture.  The base has a deep neat clear casing (not like my Nazeing bowl which is Elwell).  The base is flat but not polished flat, rather than curving into the pontil mark as my bowl does.  The pontil mark is polished beautifully.  It's rather large at nearly 9 1/2" (23.5cm tall) and about 5 1/2" at widest (13.75cm).  I'm assuming not Graystan as the base has the clear casing and I wasn't sure Gray Stan glass is cased?  I have been through all pictures of both I can find, both on the net, here on the site and in my books and I can't match the shape  :-\ to either.  Weighs nearly 2kg or 4lb.  I thought it must be Nazeing given the white, the bubbles, the swirls and the base?
any thoughts please?  Nigel am I right this time  ;D
many thanks  :sun:
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
image on black

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk

Simple answer - No!!

This doesn't match any known Nazeing shapes for the good reason that it is S&W/Royal Brierley.

Nigel

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Large cloudy bubbly swirly vase - Nazeing? ID = S&W/Royal Brierley
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 09:03:14 PM »
 :thud:  thank you Nigel for putting me out of my misery :).  I would never have found that out in a year of looking.  I'd been right through 20th Century British glass and nothing.  And on relooking now, I didn't find any cloudy glass pics for Royal Brierley.  Is it pre war please?  I was presuming it was due to the nature of the design but possibly wrongly :-\
Many thanks again.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 01:40:45 PM »
For Nigel -

I was searching for something and spotted this vase.  I think it's possibly the same range/decor as my vase above but a different shape and didn't know if you'd seen it?  It might not be but thought I'd link it just in case. 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390478946003?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »
Good old Nige loves to let a lass down gently . ;D ;) :o ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:50:44 PM »
 :)  but I've learnt so much from his posts and help that I can now spot my own Stevens and Williams ... well, most of the time  ;D

m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 04:10:05 PM »
When I posted this bowl a while ago I presumed Nazeing but was corrected by...have a guess?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 10:44:24 AM »
Hello,

Notice that the three pieces shown/linked to here are the same shapes as the Rainbow Ware range by S&W.........................

Nigel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »
hope m doesn't object too much if I piggy-back on this thread. :)           Attached are pix of a green bowl (identified some while back by Nigel as SW/RB) - plus a vase of identical shape and dimensions to the original post here, and which matches the colourway/bubble construction of the bowl.        Would therefore seem to be a very good chance both green pieces are SW/RB.

There appear to be consistent differences in bubbles and halos, between this factory and Nazeing, although I think there is a need to look at a few examples in order to 'get the eye in'.         Of course it does help if it can be shown - as pointed out with the 'Rainbow' vase - that this was not a shape produced by Nazeing  - but not quite so simple eliminating bowls, where many factories offered similar shapes - and this is where knowing your bubbles/halos and recognizing colourways is essential.      Having looked at Geoff. Timberlake's book, I don't think this 'green' was a colourway offered by Nazeing, but that is my opinion only.

The bubbles and halos in these pix might be compared with the Nazeing material shown in current post in  'Glass' - although it seems there is perhaps some doubt that all shown there is Nazeing .... http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,50932.msg288557.html#msg288557 
It's unfortunate that Charles Hajdamach's C20 book is quiet on some of this material, but guess we can't have everything in one book. :)     

The logic of why the term 'Rainbow' escapes me  -  possibly the original range of colours offered was varied.
From the very few pieces of both factories that I've seen, I'm inclined to suggest that the ground/polished pontil depressions on SW/RB material might just be of a higher quality, larger and shinier than pieces from Nazeing - although as I say, I have only a very few items, so that is just a personal and speculative opinion. :)   
I've tweaked the pix a little with Picasa, mostly to accentuate the halos and bubble areas, so the green has been distorted slightly  -  apologies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand