No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large cloudy bubbly swirly vase - Nazeing? ID = S&W/Royal Brierley  (Read 8003 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Large cloudy bubbly swirly vase - Nazeing? ID = S&W/Royal Brierley
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 10:10:18 PM »
QED then (perhaps) ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »
Paul I don't think your base pics attached to your post?  Is it possible to post some please for reference?
many thanks
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 07:48:56 PM »
don't know why these were overlooked.

The pink one is Nazeing, and the pontil depression is noticeably matt.               The green piece is S. & W. and shows a much more polished mark.

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 05:22:51 PM »
What you have to remember is that Nazeing did a lot of sub- contract work for other companies, ie Royal Brierely/ Stevens & Williams/ Dartington and Wegdwood Glass to name a few.
These companies would bring down their moulds and we would blow our glass into them.
So does this make the glass Nazeing or not? If it was sold by S&W or RB then it is theirs, as we have drawings / photos of most of our moulds of that period. Also coloured samples in our Museum.
The bubble technique looks like ours but the shaopes are definitely NOT ours as Nigel,says.
However my recent research proves that a lot of Victorian glass labeld S&W or RB was in fact Kempton glass, Nazeing's predecessor before the company moved out of Vauxhall.
I am doing an article for The Glass Circle about this as I have just bought 30 pieces of Kampton family owned glass and the recipe books. Many experts eg Cyril mMnley on Victorian Glass were mistaken and I have a letter from him shortly before he died, confessing he knew very little about "London made glass"!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 09:34:06 AM »
Stephen sorry for the delay in responding, but I've been trying to get my head around your post and which pieces it refers to, as well as looking at the glass in question more closely.
From what you say, I have understood that you were referring to the green vase (and possibly the plate) posted by Paul and also the green vase posted by Keith.  Are you therefore suggesting that these three green pieces are S&W/RB shapes but were blown at Nazeing using Nazeing bubble decor, but were S&W/RB shapes and therefore sold as S&W/RB by them?
thanks for taking the time to explain and add to the thread :)
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 12:49:27 PM »
my thanks also to Stephen for his very useful information.

The following maybe removed if it's considered out of place here, but found this small blue, clear handled, posy vase this morning and thought a pic or two - especially showing what appears to be a snapped pontil - might be of interest.
Geoff. Timberlake comments in his book ('A Celebration of Nazeing Glass Works 1928 - 2003' - page 57),  that  - "This does not work as well as a design which may explain why so few examples of this style are known"
This posy bowl is seen quite commonly at boot fairs etc., but without the handles, usually, and must admit this is the first I've found with handles.
Presumably this smallish snapped rough pontil scar remained unpolished in view of the slightly concave base - which avoids any scratching of surfaces etc. - and saved spending additional time on an otherwise low value item.
Does this date to the 1950's or is it later?   

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 01:20:27 PM »
Paul,
This is definately nazeing, we have other examples in the Museum in a variety of colours. My guess is that uit is late 1940;s early Fifties, as I did not see them being made in 1956 when I first worked here.
It looks like a vomit bowl to me! (Just Google vomit bowls now disposable of cardboard and you will see what I mean.......)
 I wonder if the Romans used something siliar in the vomitoriums ?
I suppose posy bowls went out of fashion when the single stem rose/orchid/gerbera etc replaced them

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 11:10:23 PM »
Hi Stephen, did you see my post above Paul's please?
I was just wondering about which vases you were referring to when you talked about blown at Nazeing using S&W molds and whether you felt Paul's green vases related to that?
Thanks
m

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 03:01:01 PM »
m (Flying Free),
Both green and purple bubble vases of S&W/ RB shapes have been found that are not our moulds but look like our colour glass and bubble effect.
Also earlier Kempton glass circa 1890 has mistakenly been named as S&W when the shapes are shown in kempton's catalogues.
Don't forget that both Colonel Reggie Williams-Thomas and Malcolm Pollock-Hill (owners) were friends and colleagues as members of THe Glass Manufacturer's Federation, ( my father was president in 1968 & 1969). We did  ( confidentially) subcontract work for many glass companies including Dartington Glass & Wedgwood Crystal, but the designs were theirs.
Suggest you visit our Museum, FF?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 03:21:58 PM »
Hi Stephen
Thanks so much for coming back to the thread :)
That is very interesting (I have little idea of S&W really,just the pieces I recognise and the ones I own).
 Is it not possible that S&W also used a bubble variant that looked the same as Nazeing?  Or has it been firmly established that Nazeing blew glass for S&W/RB using S&W molds?
I don't know anything about Kempton glass.  Are catalogues the same as Pattern Books? If something is in a Catalogue would that mean it was definitely by that maker?
I would love to visit your museum, but unfortunately I am right over the other side of the country.  If it were on my doorstep or nearer, I would be a frequent visitor absolutely :)
many thanks again
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand