No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large cloudy bubbly swirly vase - Nazeing? ID = S&W/Royal Brierley  (Read 7968 times)

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
Re: Large cloudy bubbly swirly vase - Nazeing? ID = S&W/Royal Brierley
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »
M (FF) Different fglass companies have differet recipes, and the bubbles are formed by the chemicals in teh glass.
We KNOW that nazeing made glass for S&W- it is an established fact not a hypothese!
the glass colour and bubble formation are idential to confirmed NGW pieces-just teh mould patterns are not.
If a manufacturer takes a full pages in Pottery and Tableware Gazette showing his designs, in 1887,
and a later author shows  a photo of that design but attributes it to "possible Stevens and Williams" and admits in writing that "I know nothiong of the London factories of thsi date"...
It is not too incredible to suggest they were in fact made by Kemptons! I now have traced a S&W trumpet vase and it is very different!
My article in the Glass Circle magaizine, next year, aims to establish it without a shadow of a doubt.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 04:50:54 PM »
Thanks Stephen. So when  buying pieces, it's very important to be aware of the decors and not just the shapes,  to ensure one knows where they were blown.
I think there are errors in the Cyril Manley book on Victorian Glass regarding Richardson's as well.  Presumably at that time the author did not have access to the amount of literature and information we have now so perhaps assumptions were made that have now turned out to be inaccurate.  Unfortunately, these things persist and become 'facts' that take a long time to undo.
m

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 09:03:14 PM »
We KNOW that nazeing made glass for S&W- it is an established fact not a hypothese!

It is also true to say that S&W made items specifically for Elwell as shown in the Description Books held at Broadfild House Glass Museum. The colours made by S&W go under the names of: May Green, Mulberry and Puce. The first two are Nazeing names, the third not. Elwell is known to have bought from a number of British companies directly - Gray-Stan, Nazeing, Stevens & Williams, Thomas Webb are certain and were augmented with glass from Czechoslovakia that we know of.

Cyril Manley has often been debuncked since the books' reprinting. Most of it followed on an earlier, American comb-bound publication, which read as if you were looking through Manley's own notebook with his thoughts about who had made each item - but without proof. The classic mistaking WMF as Ikora was my first insight into this - so you're pushing at an open door where Manley is concerned.

However, where it is noted that items were made for 'Elwell' in the S&W's 1930's Description Books, there is no mention of Nazeing, so I begin to part comapany with you I'm afraid Stephen :(  These 1930's pieces have very different characteristics to those of Nazeing Glass Works in my experience, which is why we were able to take them out of the Nazeing Room in The Museum of British Domestic Glass and put them in their rightful place - under S&W. The decor/internal decoration does not match that of Nazeing, particularly with the Mulberry, which actually gives a nod to monart with its propencity to have 'larger' granules of colour that form 'pebbles' of colour within the casing. They are heavier, with thicker walls, and the pontils are far more confident that the finishing achieved at Nazeing. The colouring in the Puce items is greatly different from the equivalent pieces known to be Nazeing.

As for the Kempton work being given S&W status, I came up against that problem when trying to borrow from collectors for the Nazeing Glass and It's Origins exhibition that we held at Lowewood Mueseum back in 2003. The Trumpet vase was aparticular bone of contention, with the number of ribs being quoted as a S&W characteristic by their protagonists, however they are there to see in a Kempton advert that Geoff Timberlake discovered in The Pottery and Glass Trade Gazette.

However, while researching other companies and looking at family collections I have found items that were definately by other manufacturers, such as the supposedly piece of 'Hailware' (by Hailwood & Ackroyd, of Leeds) that was marked 'Pyrex' in the Hailwood family collection. Things can get mixed up and re-attributed within families over a great number of years  :o :(  Back up information is essentual if you're not going to have someone come out of the woodwork and contradict you after you've published. Yet, there's always the maxim of be the first to publish and those who follow build on your work   ;) :)

Don't know whether that helps? (Or even whether I've made an enemy - I hope not !!)

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand