No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: the one i got today  (Read 3382 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
the one i got today
« on: February 05, 2006, 06:52:39 PM »
a nice 5-1 facet weight i'm 100% i'm sure who made it, but what do you think

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
the one i got today
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 07:57:17 AM »
I've got one of those as well - also unmarked. However I reckoned on Caithness because of the overall size and the facet shapes, because of the canes, and because I have a friend and fellow collector who has one in its full glory - engraved for Cunard as a QE2 special with Caithness markings.  On mine the canes are not level - they slope slightly so I deduced mine was a second (although no CIIG marking). I will check when I get home.
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
the one i got today
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 11:18:39 AM »
Ray - I know why you know. I thought I'd check my contact who told me that he had bumped into someone at Barton who had just bought one. It's a small world !!. Just to correct myself, the other Martin's weight is not QE2 - rather Canberra world tour.
Martin

Offline RAY

• Members
the one i got today
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 06:08:23 PM »
yep i bumped into Martin on the way out of barton and  said he had one fully marked, it's a caithness with whitefriars cane's, it was a bad day for buying glass there was some good glass but over priced
cheers Ray

Offline mjr

• Members
the one i got today
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 08:16:02 PM »
Ray

Now I am home I have just checked mine and it is virtually identical to yours - same facetting and same pink/white canes. And a noticable slope to the canes
Martin

Offline RAY

• Members
the one i got today
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 09:04:10 PM »
martin mine also has a noticable slope to the canes, so if they were 2nd's why go to all the trouble to have them facted?
cheers Ray

Offline mjr

• Members
the one i got today
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 07:38:28 AM »
Very valid point. Maybe they made a batch of weights but only engraved a small number to see how they shifted, or used a stock design for the canberra. Anyway, it is nicer without the etching as it make a very clean, simple design.
Martin

Offline ALLAN

• Members
the one i got today
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 08:21:51 PM »
Hi,
   Just a quick post to confirm(as if any were needed) that the weight is indeed Caithness.As I recall they were known to us as PB 5s(Paperweight Blank).There were several colour combinations depending on what the engraving was going to be.We made a small stock of each and cut them so we could turn round an order quicker.The designs were shown to prospective corporate customers along with abstract and holloware blanks and they would choose what they wanted with their logos or such on them.We haven't made any of these for a long time,the setting was usually done by myself,Rosette Fleming or a girl called Fiona Cumming who worked with us in the 80s.Unusual to see one without engraving on it out in the market.
                           Allan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand