No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: BRITISH SAWREX British back stamp.  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
BRITISH SAWREX British back stamp.
« on: June 19, 2011, 02:02:50 PM »
The following appears to be the only item in the GMB SEARCH archives for what seems to be an uncommon backstamp........http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,25288.msg9573.html#msg9573.........and appears not to have been resolved - but an advance on Bernard's doodling might be  'I Saw The King' ;)    I'd not seen an example until today, and now have this dessert/sweet dish which has some age wear and 'rings' well, although not too sure that the cutting is particularly fine.   This shape is not uncommon, and has been churned out by most factories over the years, so don't think much mileage in dating from shape, but this particular piece feels post 1945.   I've tried to take a picture of the backstamp, and think the attached is about as good as I can get, so maybe of some use (if you can read it).    If anyone does have more information, would be interested to know. :)

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: SAWREX British back stamp.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 02:52:12 PM »
Did a little snoop around... The "Sawrex" Glass Marketing Co. Limited, was dissolved, as in struck off the register of named companies, in 1970. Certainly earlier in the century such events occur 7 years after liquidation so it might have closed in 1963.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 03:13:18 PM »
thanks Neil  -  and I should have cast my net a little wider.    Maybe the name says it all.......Glass Marketing Co.......and perhaps they were simply 'buying in' other peoples wares and backing stamping with their own name.   Good to have a little more information towards building up a better picture. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 07:56:36 PM »
They may of course have had them made to their design if they were a wholesaler. It's not uncommon for retailers to have stuff badged though.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:47:20 PM »
Clearly not that common Paul.....this is the only piece on eBay at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-BRITISH-SAWREX-GLASS-SINGLE-TUMBLER-/150610745046?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item23111996d6
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 09:16:38 PM »
thanks to Christine and Rosie  -  and appreciate the link.     The mark on my piece was very difficult to see, and I very nearly overlooked it, but as we know, the backstamp is easier to see on some pieces than others.    In view of the lack of information on SAWREX, I'm surprised in fact that there is even one piece on ebay.   Looks a nice tumbler, and presumably quite collectable - so must keep an eye out for more pieces.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand