No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sklo Union jardiniere, ovoid, horizontal ribbing  (Read 6746 times)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
Re: Sklo Union jardiniere, ovoid, horizontal ribbing
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 12:56:12 AM »
jardiniere is correct Czech term, Frank, but we write it as žardiniera

possibly came from French.

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 04:21:28 AM »
Because I'm just so posh, I like the term 'jardiniere' and will continue to use it rather than the common 'wide vase'.  I can say it in Czech, Polish, and when I'm feeling particularly chic, in French with the correct accent.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »
A jardiniere is strictly for growing plants. The Victorian catalogues show glass ones containing growing plants not being used as vases. The term has become misused to mean a shape (i.e., something longer than it is wide) rather than a use, even though the original jardinieres weren't shape specific.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 11:39:33 AM »
Aw Christine, just when I thought I'd dazzle people with my language skills, you've gone and busted up this girl's fun... now there's just no point in being able to pronounce 'jardiniere' in three different languages. Woe is me.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 01:17:40 PM »
As I do like the word jardiniere as well ;D, I have to cite (German) wikipedia:
"...since appr. 1900 the word jardiniere also refers to a shallow, oblong centrepiece that is meant for an arrangement of fresh flowers..."

So in several middle European languages it seems to be the correct term for this style of vase.
(Here in Austria, quite a few French words found their way in the colloquial language, which is nice IMHO :))

Michael

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 10:38:58 PM »
Having for the last 15 years lived in Germany, Holland and now France my language skills are incredible. Not to mention my knowledge of Latin, Greek and Arabic. So some might say amazing. Daughter Feli who is virtually fluent in all but German, but understands it and is currently teaching herself Japanese... always screams, whenever I demonstrate my remark-able linguistic skills, "Talk English!!!!! :grrr:" so I am stuck with my common unexciting dyslexic English. Which luckily everyone else speaks... so I assume :t:. I call my foreign language Nederdeutchfrankish as it borrows heavily from all 3 and usually in the same sentence :hi:, biggest bugbear is my pronunciation in all three segments is a little bit accented, so I am never surprised by the blank looks I get  :thud: . But despite this remarkable failure in my persona I still dislike Jardinière... but I guess then that I must oblige the majority view and add Jardiniere to the SU descriptions when the shop site switches to reference only. :smg:

p.s. In Greek(Cretan) I know Glikristo, Arabic Bayt (took 6 months of evening classes to learn that one) and Latin (  :huh2: ).

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 04:40:28 AM »
Michael, you're a hero!  Now I can use 'jardiniere' to my heart's delight and not be completely wrong. ;D

Frank, your post made me laugh.  Despite my jesting, I don't have any talent for languages either.  But I do have a fabulous Frantisek Vizner 3244 'żardiniera' for my collection... my fourth Vizner pressed piece out of many I still wish to find.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 09:00:51 AM »
Frank, I have to admit that my foreign language skills are rather limited --  but my skills in searching the web for the definition of an old-fashioned term are great ;D

I think everybody should use the word he/she likes best -- 'wide vase' is all right with me. :)
Just wanted to point out that it is not necessarily a misused term...

Sometimes I am amazed which pieces the Czech glass makers declare a 'jardiniere' (like the one attached, which I would call a bowl :usd:)

Michael

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 11:20:18 AM »

I think everybody should use the word he/she likes best -- 'wide vase' is all right with me. :)
Just wanted to point out that it is not necessarily a misused term...

I agree but for reference material personal taste should be avoided, the discussion is very helpful and of course how a word is used can differ widely between countries.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand