No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb 'Flair' ?  (Read 1970 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Webb 'Flair' ?
« on: June 24, 2011, 05:58:36 PM »
4.5 inches high,polished pontil mark,posted ages ago,I think,just reading 20th century British glass and thought, is it?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Webb 'Flair' ?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 06:44:18 PM »
 :hi: It might be. Is it marked?

How is the glass put together? - it's hard to tell what is glass and what is reflections of colour.
Is there a sort of dome in the base, with the bubbles around it, inside the glass and then the bubble pattern sweeps sort of back on itself to the outside of the glass via the base. Some of your bubbles look a little bit untidy....

Which bits are clear and which are coloured?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 12:21:35 AM »
Amber centre with controlled bubbles,clear outer,solid lump which fits the making process described in Hajdamach's book,well finished and no marks,I'll take a couple more pic's in the morning ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 09:18:08 AM »
it looks right Keith  -  has that almost 'ginger' shade of amber  -  the bubbles look as though break out at the bottom (giving one or two very small holes in the base), and density of bubble seems about right.  The ground/polished pontil also looks o.k., and you seem to have appropriate age wear on the base.    I have only four pieces from the 'flair' range, and must be honest and say that they do all have a back stamp, but then we do know that no all Webb was marked, as we have discussed before.     It looks 'right' to me.   :mrgreen:     It'll be o.k. when David produces his book on Webb ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 09:57:12 AM »
I agree - thanks for explaining Keith - I see how it works clearly now, absolutely correct.

It is Webb Flair, just unmarked. :smg:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 10:32:50 AM »
Thanks Sue,Paul,pic's as promised below......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand