No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dating Krinks Monart lamp and shade holders ?  (Read 4982 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Dating Krinks Monart lamp and shade holders ?
« on: June 24, 2011, 03:43:22 PM »
Whilst doing some research into Monart lighting, which included a day at Perth museum with unlimited access to their Monart archives. I believe I have come across some information that indicates Samuel Kr inks produced light fittings for Monart lamps early than first believed.
In the excellent book YSART GLASS on page 88 it is stated and I quote “ the fitting on this lamp is the type used in the post-war period.
The picture of the Monart lamp drawing is taken from the Monart catalogue kept at Perth museum,  it states very clearly the dates the design being approved and below that it would be replaced by the Krinks design.
Included is a photo  mushroom lamp with a pre-war Monart Glass label fitted with a Samuel  Krinks light fitting.
This is in no way conclusive evidence of my theory of Samuel Krinks producing light fittings for pre-war Monart production but it certainly opens up the possibility they did.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-15174
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-15175
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-15177
Gary

Offline millarart

• Members
Re: Dating Krinks Monart lamp and shade holders ?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 09:24:26 PM »
very interesting indeed, well done, did you see lots of rare items/pieces????
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:19:38 PM »
To be honest never got round to looking at the extensive Ysart glass collection the museum have in storage, the whole day was taken up going thru the original Monart catalogues donated to Perth Museum by I Turner and all the other archive material . The Ysart collection of glass in storage can be accessed by oppointment with the museum, which I fully intend to do in near future.
On a personal level it was amazing to actually see (and photograph) the drawings from the Monart Catalogue the Ysarts used to make a particular shape that I have in my collection in fact these light pendants were the first pieces of Monart I owned.
Gary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 12:48:16 AM »
In the excellent book YSART GLASS on page 88 it is stated and I quote “ the fitting on this lamp is the type used in the post-war period.

Ah the book is WRONG, see http://www.ysartglass.com/Moncat/PageLightFit.htm just omitted to update the book errata!

Notice that the drawing has fixed arms whereas the Krinks is adjustable. Obviously a huge costsaver. The drawing includes a date of 1927 and the lightbulb is a type that was well on the way out by 1927 so I guess the drawing was made even earlier and annotated in the passing of time. The lighting catalogue was reproduced in a Glass Association journal and I had intended to get the website up to date based on that and Ian's research that was published with it. The GA probably still have copies of that journal so worth getting hold of a copy.

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 01:55:55 PM »
There is also a difference in the length of the bottom lamp holder with the Krinks one being much shorter.
On the Krinks photo the bulb holder clearly says Made in England so I assume they would have been added later at Moncrieff's.
Gary

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 06:34:30 PM »
Thanks Frank for info, I went on to the GA web site and ordered a copy of the relevent journal.
Gary

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 07:31:06 PM »
Thanks Frank for info, I went on to the GA web site and ordered a copy of the relevent journal.
Gary
ooooh youl see my rare monart vase lamp with colour matching shade in that copy

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 08:43:30 PM »
Length of the lower section was varied according to base size.

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 11:00:35 PM »
A bit more info on Monart light fittings. The name of the manufacturer of pre Krinks light fittings would appear to be a firm called Ramsay. I have three photos of pre war mushroom light fittings(due to copyright can't reproduce them), each one has cast bronze fitting and each one has a slightly different design.
If any members have any pre war Monart lamps could you post or email images of the light fitting and any relevant info on the lamp, thanks in advance.
Gary

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 05:44:34 AM »
i will in the near future as l only display a few lamps at a time and others are packed away, will look them out after xmas and new year

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand