No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Iittala & Nuutajarvi new buys  (Read 5496 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Iittala & Nuutajarvi new buys
« on: February 06, 2006, 01:43:38 AM »
Hi

Here are two new pieces (I bought for a few pounds) from well established companies -

Iittala - Alvar Aalto 'Savoy Vase' in smoke green 9.5cm - etching to base suggests 1990 to 2000 - re Designlasin

Nuutajarvi charger - very heavy, over 15" diameter - clear plastic/blue label. Fairly modern, cannot find in Designlasin or other publications, any idea of date and designer?

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 01:33:50 PM »
The date key to your charger lies in the label. I think Nuutajarvi became part of Iittala in the 1980s. I had some Oiva Toikka Pioni shot glasses with the blue fish label and I managed to find somewhere (and couldn't find it again), possibly Iittala itself, some end of line Pioni that had the red Iittala label. I also think Toikka may be a starting point for the designer. There are similarities with Pioni and I'm fairly certain he had a sort of floral range. A very quick surf reveals nothing but this may get you started.

Update
Put in the right combination and lo and behold Pioni

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 03:40:27 PM »
Thanks so much - I see my exact platter in the link you gave me (same size & design).

Link

So it's Oiva Toikka for sure -

Iittala 'Pioni' at present

Designed for sure at Nuutajarvi as the link gives design date 1976 - was it called 'Pioni' under Nuutajarvi?

Iittala merged with Nuutajarvi in 1987 so I suppose they would continue popular ranges but change the label

Again thanks a great deal - any information on the range under Nuutajarvi name please post :)

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 04:43:06 PM »
Yes it was Pioni under Nuutajarvi, my little shot glasses very obliging came in their original box.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 09:19:04 PM »
Thanks for your help Christine

Adam P

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 02:43:16 AM »
Could this help? When did the Nuutajarvi name stop being used?

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2285.0.html

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 03:30:21 PM »
Thanks Cathy

This is good information -

Ivo says in his Glass A-Z, Arabia/Wartsila/Finland sticker was used 1971 to 76 & 1983 to 87 - as you mention Cathy it must have been over the old fish symbol (both periods I guess as Ivo mentions in the thread, 1987 take over is when he thinks his 'Arabia made in Finland' glass was made),
still carry the old (fish) symbol

Nuutajarvi Notsjo 1793/Made in Finland label was used up until 1992 - this clears things up and shows that under Iittala the Nuutajarvi label was used up until 1992 ...at least

My label says 'Nuutajarvi 1793/Wartsila/Finland - a variation of the label mentioned above and under Iittala? I think so - it may be difficult to get an exact date on all the transitional labels that were used - or it could be only a few years ago as the Nuutajarvi label is still being used http://www.fintoys.com/fauni_glases.html

It's good to keep in mind that this design dates to 1976 (according to web link above) called 'Pioni' by Oiva Toikka - so much activity and label changes from then to now, I am writing to Iittala to ask for a brief history of the range and the labels

Adam P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand