No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: what is this - Isle of wight glass - must be special?  (Read 5076 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
what is this - Isle of wight glass - must be special?
« on: June 25, 2011, 02:05:10 PM »
I added this Ebay item  no  160608967072  to my watch list I think only yesterday, listed with a start price of £4.99 . Just looked and it has sold for a buy it now price of £200.
Just wondering what is it and why it is worth so much ?
does anyone know??

JAK

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline millarart

• Members
Re: what is this - Isle of wight glass - must be special?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 02:15:52 PM »
wow ive not got a clue, but that was a great price for the seller, but then why did they know to put such a buy it now price, maybe theyve got too much for it or maybe they sold it too cheap, look forward to the answer
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 02:17:42 PM »
I would guess that someone offered them that amount to convert it to a buy it now price and sell it to them. It started off as a normal auction listing - that is why I thought it must be something very special!
JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 02:17:49 PM »
Jak, i saw that one, i believe its an unusual early Mdina fish vase. Most likely a Michael Harris piece.
Im sure a few experts on here will be able to confirm this.
Andy  :D
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 03:23:03 PM »
wow ive not got a clue, but that was a great price for the seller, but then why did they know to put such a buy it now price, maybe theyve got too much for it or maybe they sold it too cheap, look forward to the answer
My experience is that if they have added a buy it now for a buyer, it is generally lower than it would have sold for, as the buyer is looking to eliminate the bidding process, and competitors willing to pay more.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »
Looks like an early Fish to me, in a desirable colourway, I would imagine should have made twice that if the auction had run its natural course!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 03:50:17 PM »
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure as well that this is an early, rare fish by Michael Harris.
Well....that buyer got lucky.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 04:06:29 PM »
 ::)

It's a sad fact of life that some folk started doing this - and the sellers have to take responsibility for it.
If they didn't agree to this practice, it wouldn't happen.  :grrr:

And now a lot of folk, who heartily disapprove of doing it, are driven to do it themselves if they actually want a piece, in order to pre-empt somebody else doing it.

If you find you're seriously interested in a piece being sold by somebody who will do it, it might as well be to you as somebody else.

I hate it, I really, really hate it. But I have done it once. (not this bit).
It was rather nerve-wracking - I knew from the seller's willingness to close the auction they were already a bit dodgy.

But - if it's up with a BIN - there is still a window for somebody else to pop in and click on it.

(I know, it's happened - the potential buyer was furious!  >:D >:D >:D )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Murfin

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 04:38:40 PM »
 I sold the lolly pop Mdina/ Isle of Wight vase for £200. If you want it please don't watch it, bid on it. I wouldn't have been able to put a buy it now on if a bid had been placed and lets face it starting at £4.99 it was worth a click on the bid button as well as the watch button. I didn't know what it was and I am happy with the profit made. I am not dodgy and I am fed up with the amount of emails I'm getting with "advice". So the person who contacted me had more knowledge than I have and good luck to them. I shall continue to look in Charity shops for interesting glass.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 04:39:59 PM »
It's not the sellers who encourage this Sue...I have recently been approached for two BINS and refused, only to see both pieces (with many many watchers) go unsold.
The second piece, a ceramic, the buyer came back and offered less than my start price.  I accepted it because he was nice and I wasn't that bothered about the piece.  I refused the other.  But from now on, I am  tempted to accept offers.  I currently have a piece on that I listed low to encourage bidding - it has tens of watchers literally, but not a single bid.  Everyone hoping to bid at the base price at the last minute I guess, which is what happened to another (rare) ceramic piece I had on two weeks ago.
So please don't blame the sellers.  I buy as well so I am not just a seller   ;D  -
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand