No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: what is this - Isle of wight glass - must be special?  (Read 5101 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: what is this - Isle of wight glass - must be special?
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 05:09:22 PM »
All's fair in love and all that. It was an honest ebay transaction. The seller is happy, the buyer is undoubtedly happy, ebay is happy. It didn't just disappear, as so often happens. even to items with bids on.

Welcome to the board Murfin.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 05:11:04 PM »
I don't sell (yet), so mostly I see myself as a "victim" here - scarce things I *really* want and would pay well for at the auction end, vanishing early for a lot less than I'd have paid.

So the one time I did do it, it was something scarce and I gave the seller a price it probably would not have reached - it was what my maximum bid would have been.

But I'm a collector - I'm not someone who wants to underpay for something in order to sell it on at a profit. Clearly your BIN people weren't that interested m, odd.

As to watchers...
I rarely ever put a bid on early, unless it is to pre-empt the auction being pulled - but the trouble with that is that it draws attention to the auction from my competition - especially if it's something with a high start price.
I'm a last minute sniper with my top, serious bid. I don't go for things I don't really, really want to own.

And I do watch a lot of stuff I'm not interested in buying - I want to see if it sells and for how much. It's part of learning about the current market.

I still blame the sellers though. There will always be those offering their "bait".
It is up to the sellers to reject them and let the auction run fairly to the end for everybody -

But as you can see, it simply doesn't work - I've done it in order to get something I really wanted - and you're saying you'd be inclined to accept - all this with both of us disapproving of it.

I didn't say the sellers encourage it, m, but I do say they're the ones with the power to stop it.

At least in the auction under discussion, the price was fine.
You've not been diddled Murfin. And you did not go "dodgy" with selling off-site, you did a BIN - in which somebody else could have pipped your buyer. And, as you so correctly said - if somebody had stuck a bid on, you couldn't have done it.

I suppose there are really two issues here - putting an agreed BIN on, which can be annoying for those who miss out, but is all above board, or selling off-site which is really dodgy.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 06:12:18 PM »
I just think it's a 'dog-eat-dog' world out there   :24:  And as regards my items, I assume the watchers are just that, watchers.  Luckily for me the vase in question is lovely so I am as happy to keep it and sell it at a later date if it doesn't sell.  As my OH is wont to say on a regular basis (especially when people start talking about what houses are worth for some reason) 'something is only worth what someone will pay for it'.  We both come from a dealing background, him from the 'having the commodity people want to buy' and me from the' having the money and deciding what to buy with it' so I am well aware of market forces and don't get too het up about it  ;D

With regards off-site selling or buying I would never do it - when I first started buying on ebay a long time ago, I unwittingly bought something off-site.  The item ended and I only saw it as it ended on my screen.  I offered the asking price and she accepted. The seller didn't list it as a buy it now but just sent a paypal request which I naively paid without really realising what I was doing.  The item arrived and was damaged despite me having been assured it was perfect.  I hadn't a clue how to go about retrieving my funds so just left it and kept the item and of course had no way of leaving negative feedback. 
So I agree, that's a very dodgy way to do business.
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 07:47:44 PM »
Murfin, Welcome to the board.....

Congrats to the buyer of the vase......

With a feedback rating of 8 on ebay many of the people who contacted you probably had your best interest at heart.... but it would appear you have a different take on it..... I am sure a portion of them were disappointed that you let it be purchased for less than they were willing to, and planned on, bidding for the item.....  Many die hard ebayers are also die hard collectors, and it is all about the search for a rare piece......

Many new sellers are not in tune to some of the practices on ebay.....  such as BIN offers to clear it off of the market quickly and reduce the price being paid for an item........... and without prior knowledge of other activity, I would view a seller with 8 feedbacks and 6 weeks on ebay as a new seller.......

I have been involved in over 2000 ebay transactions and many regular ebay bidders (and sellers), myself included, watch an item and never bid early...... early bids spark early interest and increases early bidding activity..... generally driving the price up faster than most serious collectors/buyers would like...  I am generally a buyer that bids once, bids aggressively to buy an item, and almost always bids at the very end of activity.  I never bid early.....  even if a seller says they may pull an auction if there is no early activity......  I have watched far too many items sell for far too much money because a couple of early bidders were more focused on "Winning" than they were on the logic of what they are paying for said item.....

As a buyer I have also made offers that were accepted and purchased items early on with a BIN....  In every case, without exception, I purchased a much desired item for less than I would have paid for it........  As a buyer I saw far too many items disappear in front of my eyes such as this one did for some people.....  If I really want it, I will make a run at it with a new seller....  It never works on someone who has been selling for a long time... they understand the reason for the offer......

One of the reasons that ebay has added the counters for watchers and page hits for sellers is to allow them to gauge activity on an item..... lots of hits and lots of watchers generally translates into lots of bids near the end....... not always, but usually.

I am sure it is your choice to have added the BIN due to the fact that there was not a bid on the item, but it was also your choice to have let the item run.....  You can't blame bidders for not bidding early and making that the reason you accepted an offer of a BIN......  If that is your practice you will likely sell a lot of items early and for less than they would have brought......

I am glad you are happy with your profit..... really I am......

I personally would have been happy with more.... and I am not greedy........  

Craig

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 07:54:41 PM »
I sold the lolly pop Mdina/ Isle of Wight vase for £200. If you want it please don't watch it, bid on it. I wouldn't have been able to put a buy it now on if a bid had been placed and lets face it starting at £4.99 it was worth a click on the bid button as well as the watch button. I didn't know what it was and I am happy with the profit made. I am not dodgy and I am fed up with the amount of emails I'm getting with "advice". So the person who contacted me had more knowledge than I have and good luck to them. I shall continue to look in Charity shops for interesting glass.
well said you :hiclp:, your happy and the winning bidder is happy, a profits a profit, good for you, cash is keen,
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 02:56:21 PM »
Interesting, the last cobalt blue fish vase that sold on ebay which happens to be this one auctioned for £150. It too was not described as a Mdina fish vase and had a photo that required a little effort to see what it was. Spending £200 with a newish seller on the evidence of not the best photo (sorry Murfin) is a risk for the buyer. Until the item arrives they will have little idea whether their judgement was sound or not.

Selling on ebay is not that simple, all of us who do, whether we sell a lot or a little will have learnt a lot along the way, from the psychology of selling (still grappling with that myself) to taking good photographs let alone what to sell in the first place..... It is a steep learning curve.

I recently rejected an offer on an item I was selling and the final hammer price was less than the offer I turned down. A few weeks later I agonised over another offer I received on one of my auctions, it was a realistic offer but the item was quite unusual and I had hoped for a little more. In the end I rejected the offer and the item auctioned for the price I was hoping for. You take the rough with the smooth.

John

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 10:39:09 AM »
For those of you who have 'read between the lines' it will come as little surprise that I bought it.

Here are some photos, it is not from the fabled cobalt blue pot of glass that was melted in the early days at Mdina. It is however an early fish vase made by Michael Harris presumably at Mdina (though not necessarily so). As is normal with these vases one side bears the impression of the marver against which it was flattened. The base is ground but unpolished (the first I remember seeing that was not polished) and dimensions are roughly 17cm wide by 15cm tall.

As for making offers, it is a practice I am uncomfortable with too. I think this is the 4th time I have made an offer or enquired about making one. One time it backfired, I made an offer for an item, the seller then placed a reserve at the level of my offer. I eventually 'won' the item at auction, paying the reserve price but the next highest bidder was a lot less than this reserve price. Without that reserve (and offer) I would have paid considerably less.

As for those interested in the value of this fish vase and whether Murfin received a fair price they should note that there is some damage. At some stage the vase has taken a tumble and there are several small impact marks, not something that is easy to distinguish against the 'background noise' of the item and not something that I would expect someone who was not experienced with glass to recognise. I am extremely happy with my purchase, I hope Murfin is still happy with the sale and I hope he will use the message board again in the future.

This is the kind of glass that gives me a physical reaction, wobbly knees, cold sweats and a visceral churning in my guts. Just call me sad!

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 10:59:17 AM »
It it just blue and amethyst - or is there clear glass in it?

Interesting  John - a two-tone one - fits with your pink and blue swirl "thing" - and I bet that was unexpected!!!!!!
(heehee, my Precious Baby Fish is sort of multi-coloured, as it has silver chloride effects - there's clear, brown, yellow, teal and cobalt - and iridescent bits inside.  :smg: and it's still the smallest Fish known.)

lovely thing, John!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 11:08:53 AM »
Just blue and amethyst, no clear like the amethyst version of this variation in the design: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyMdinaGlass#5473340076203262786

Which pink and blue swirl thing Sue (sorry, you lost me there)?

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 11:18:52 AM »
Attenuated bottles? Chargers? or am i just confuddled, is it only blue and white swirls you go for?
(I'm really not keen on either, I leave those to you and Suzy!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand