There's another side to changing an auction to BIN for an agreed price. I've never asked a seller of a piece that starts below the piece's worth--and I know that's not a precise figure-- to change it to a BIN price. I have, however, asked for a BIN price for a piece that is listed at auction way above its normal price, often when the piece has gone through a 7 or even 30 day cycle without being sold and is then relisted. Often I've waited until the seller has two pieces I'm interested in and offered a deal for them both. I offer what I think is a fair price, as I find that there are a few dealers who turn up a fair bit of stuff I like and I have no desire to alienate them, I really want the pieces, and, as these sellers have been fair to me in the past, I want to be fair to them. Sue is right, though, you have to make sure you're first in line with the BIN.
I sympathize with Murfin. Most of my bids are snipes, which are my attempt to keep the purchase price low. I can understand why a seller would accept what seems a very good offer to guarantee a profit.
Great acquisition John and well spotted.