No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bagley Equinox blue satin flower bowl  (Read 2012 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Bagley Equinox blue satin flower bowl
« on: June 25, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »
A bit of research on here comes up with 3061 flower bowl.
'Rescued' this and it's cleaned up lovely, a million miles away from what I normally buy and sell, see loads of this type of Deco glass and nobody seems to want it? thought this one was a little different I know there are collectors on here maybe it's part of a set that someone is looking to complete?

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/BagleyEquinoxBowl?authkey=Gv1sRgCOzbwfOL0p-h8AE#5622226689619514434

Chris :sun:

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Bagley Equinox blue satin flower bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 10:27:04 PM »
The 'equinox' bowl was one of my very first pieces of glass....in frosted green, without any pictures on it still got it in my Art Deco glass collection. 
Yours is the 'folded' version, but I have to be honest, I have yet to see two pieces with the same picture on, and I got the impression that they were put on by their owners rather than on the production line.  I have seen some that look like handpainted flowers and others that look like transfers.
Does yours look as though the decoration was applied in the glassworks Chris?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 11:08:23 PM »
Bagley's decoration was mostly done in house in the decorating shop by a team of ladies. Decoration consisted of cold painted designs, hot transfer prints, and some leather flowers applied.

Bernard tells a story of having the pleasure of meeting the now elderly lady who applied the polka dots to Bagley black glass at one of the glass fairs.

Angela Bowey's Bagley Glass book has more info about Bagley decoration (page 151 in the 3rd edition.) 

A very unusual Bagley trinket set was sold on eBay a while ago, from which the seller kindly allowed me to store and use her images on the GTS website: http://www.glasstrinketsets.com/cms15/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=23&Itemid=62&limitstart=4 - the seller thought these flowers were stiff paper, but given Angela's comment about leather flowers I wonder if this may an example of those or a variation on the same? 
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 05:26:21 AM »
Chris, is yours the one on ebay at the moment?
Julie

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 10:11:02 AM »
I think the lack of seeing them same pattern twice is that the decor rubs off, so it is easy to scrub it all off and have a pristine item, especially the cold painted stuff.

I doubt that these decorated items (apart from Jettique) were produced in huge quantities, as it seems likely that they were attempts to revive a flagging market by updating old designs. This was certainly the case with Chance. These designs had been running for about 20 years without decor and had probably come to their natural end.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 02:53:57 PM »
Think the decoration as always been on Rosie.
Julie is there one the same on eBay?  not mine, not my style to 'promote' on here my items which are currently listed on eBay, I never mix business with pleasure ;D though I am a seller and do often turn to this board for help.
Rare then Christine ;D had a feeling it was  :ooh:

Chris :sun:

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 04:04:17 PM »
The rose is very similar to one on my vase below. I guess it was a popular decoration.

This is the one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STUNNING-VINTAGE-BLUE-GLASS-ROSE-DISH-POSY-VASE-TRINKET-/160606661431?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item2564e72b37
Julie

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 09:32:40 PM »
They are transfers on Chris's Equinox and the hyacinth.There weren't that many transfer suppliers in the 1950s, which is why the same stock designs pop up in lots of places.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand