No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stained Glass (Stuff)  (Read 2155 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Stained Glass (Stuff)
« on: June 26, 2011, 06:44:29 AM »
 :hi: there:
Thought I would show off the 3 pieces of stained Glass I bought this weekend.  I love them , and the price I bought all 3 for!  :thup: ($ 50)   As I have seen singles pieces being sold for over $100+ . So I think I got a good price here.  Very heavy!   

You gotta like the Coke one  as I collect some odds and ends for that too (and the glass bottles) as it is Glass  ;D too.

:hiclp:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Stained Glass (Stuff)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 07:37:38 AM »
I really like them Rose!  :D 

I should pass on what an expert on stained glass told me, that technically only the Cola one should be called 'Stained Glass'!  The others are called 'Leaded Lights', because they are just coloured glass held together with 'lead' strips, none of the colour is stained or painted on.  So really only windows or panels with pictures are 'Stained Glass'!   (That's what he said, anyway :-\ )   

But who cares!  They are great!  ;D  Where are you going to put them? 
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:15:19 AM »
I really like them Rose!  :D 

I should pass on what an expert on stained glass told me, that technically only the Cola one should be called 'Stained Glass'!  The others are called 'Leaded Lights', because they are just coloured glass held together with 'lead' strips, none of the colour is stained or painted on.  So really only windows or panels with pictures are 'Stained Glass'!   (That's what he said, anyway :-\ )   

But who cares!  They are great!  ;D  Where are you going to put them? 

Thanks Leni:

Not sure yet.  The two matched pieces did (came out of) a bathroom window at a guys house.  So then are they still called 'Leaded lights' still, as they are not the type that hang on chains in a window?  Mind you I have a *Giant* front window at my place, so they could sit in that area too.

These are not the (cheap) store (mass) produced types, but handmade ones.  As this guy had bought this house, and did some renovations in it and took these windows out from the bathroom.  He said the previous owner had made them and they are quite old (made about 30+ years ago)-- since he got the info from the seller when he bought the house.

So I am not sure what to call these -- or I wonder if the different area (location) might make a differance, as I have never heard the term here Leaded lights ever......I think use Canadians call all these types of thing stained glass windows (even the very, very old ones) 50+ years old.

yeah, I collect a few older Pop bottles (Coke) things too -- Glass is Glasss  ;D

I have put them away in my closet, ATM now so they do not get broken..... :spls:

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 10:39:02 AM »
Leni is correct in saying they are not stained glass which is a word which has been attributed to this type of work wrongly for many many years.
How ever Leni the Coke sign is also a Leaded light window. The glass used in this type of work is called coloured glass.     
The stained name covers windows where the shape and colour of the glass has not been painstakingly cut and shaped and then held together with lead like a jigsaw puzzle but a single piece of glass of any colour which has the picture or shape literally painted on. A much cheaper and quicker method of making the window.
You see this allot in church windows which is where the Stained name comes from.
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 12:32:27 PM »
How ever Leni the Coke sign is also a Leaded light window.
I see what you mean, but I didn't think it was a window, because I thought it wasn't really big enough to be  :spls: 

Also, I think you'll find that the word 'light' in this sense is actually the old word for window!  So leaded light window is tautology, because you're actually saying "leaded window window"  >:D  :24: 

The stained name covers windows where the shape and colour of the glass has not been painstakingly cut and shaped and then held together with lead like a jigsaw puzzle but a single piece of glass of any colour which has the picture or shape literally painted on. A much cheaper and quicker method of making the window.
You see this allot in church windows which is where the Stained name comes from.

But aren't 'picture' windows in churches generally called 'stained glass windows' because they are a combination of the two techniques you describe?  The robes of angels etc. may be coloured glass, cut and pieced together with lead strips, but details such as faces etc. are painted - or 'stained' - onto the glass! 

I learned this from a stained glass window expert, who informed me that my house - which he had originally presumed just had leaded lights, actually does have stained glass windows, because the details are painted (and then 'baked') onto the glass!   Here's a picture of a bit of the detail of one.  You can see that the sailor and the boat are painted on to the glass and the windows etc. are painted on to the house and barn. 
Leni

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 01:04:14 PM »
Small round glass lights are also found as portholes on ships and narrowboats. http://www.flickr.com/photos/roath_park_mark/234064734/ I used to know someone 20+ years ago who made these for canal boats in beautiful designs, but have forgotten his name now, and lost touch with him over the years. He was (then) the partner of the (then) ceramicist Hazel Faithfull (who is now doing something else too.)  Patrick might know who I mean, as he gets around a bit on the waterways!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 03:57:11 PM »
I see what you mean, but I didn't think it was a window, because I thought it wasn't really big enough to be  :spls:

Size isn't a criteria as to what they are called. The proper name no matter where they are fitted is "leaded lights" I apologise for including Light and Window together but did this as part of the description.
The picture of the cottage and the boat is a good example of where the two disciplines have crossed over and the term Stained Glass has been used and it has stuck. In the strictest of terms it should be called Leaded coloured stained glass. It is used widely on religious windows.
The finest example of this type of work came from Tiffany and if you just put into Google image "Tiffany coloured glass windows" you will be amazed.
Mike

Also, I think you'll find that the word 'light' in this sense is actually the old word for window!  So leaded light window is tautology, because you're actually saying "leaded window window"  >:D  :24:  

But aren't 'picture' windows in churches generally called 'stained glass windows' because they are a combination of the two techniques you describe?  The robes of angels etc. may be coloured glass, cut and pieced together with lead strips, but details such as faces etc. are painted - or 'stained' - onto the glass!  

I learned this from a stained glass window expert, who informed me that my house - which he had originally presumed just had leaded lights, actually does have stained glass windows, because the details are painted (and then 'baked') onto the glass!   Here's a picture of a bit of the detail of one.  You can see that the sailor and the boat are painted on to the glass and the windows etc. are painted on to the house and barn.  

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 04:15:11 PM »
But aren't 'picture' windows in churches generally called 'stained glass windows' because they are a combination of the two techniques you describe?  The robes of angels etc. may be coloured glass, cut and pieced together with lead strips, but details such as faces etc. are painted - or 'stained' - onto the glass!

The term Stained Glass is just the shortening of the two disciplines and could have just as easily been named Coloured Glass, Leaded Coloured Glass or what they should strictly be called "Leaded coloured stained glass"

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 08:31:19 PM »
Hi there:

Now I am more confused than ever  :ho: :usd:

These are not painted glass, and are cut pieces of glass.  You can see the lead joints and the soldering points.  So I am not sure exactly what to call them, but you can see the lead between the pieces of glass.

So now I am confused, as the colors / design is not one painted on any of them.   :huh:  I have seen some newer (store type) ones, and these look more real and I think they might not be real old (maybe only 30 years old) -- but I think they were made piece by piece by a person.....maybe just a regular person as a Hobbyist ??

I dunno know  :thud:  :kissy:

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 08:50:16 PM »
Hi Rosie.
Blame Leni for pulling me up over my grammer.

What you have are all Leaded Lights.
The green ones are commanly made for double glazed units and conservatory's.

Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand