No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: request for date on Murano dish  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
request for date on Murano dish
« on: June 26, 2011, 10:54:47 AM »
Believe it or not I actually thought this might have been early C19 English - guess it was the folded foot rim that distracted me.    However, it is Murano, and although a half thickness of the original label showed nothing of any help, when washed off there was sufficient of an imprint on the glass to discover its origin (maybe there are some solvents in the label ink that leave a slight impression on the glass).   I seems that the original label might have had two circles of script.........one saying 'Made in Italy'  -  and the outer one saying 'Made in Murano'  -  although flying a bit of a kite there.   Unfortunately, I can't find an exact match in the Murano labels site under the GMB archives, and I know next to nothing about this material, and maybe even very modern and perhaps they still produce feet with a flolded rim like this.     Diameter is about 7"/180mm.     Would be interested in knowing a date, if someone is able to help, and my thanks as always for looking. :)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: request for date on Murano dish
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 04:21:20 PM »
Sure I'll have a date with you on your Murano dish...  don't know how well your dish will carry the weight of our bodies though. ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 05:28:25 PM »
Dear Anik - Suddenly gone very hot in the South of the U.K. - too hot in fact for me to think of a good riposte, but will consider your offer ;)   But seriously  -  I do have a Murano MVM Cappellin piece with the same folded foot rim - although appreciate this one is certainly not the same, or even the same age.     Nonetheless this is Murano, and quite delicate, and I forgot to say that it has a snapped pontil mark (possibly slightly smoothed).      thanks for your interest :)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 05:38:16 PM »
Paul, the label is AVeM definitely. This type of label came in one of three colors (red, blue, green). The M on the top line is the last letter of AVEM. Labels that had the name were considered their "artistic" glass. This type of label was used from the 1940s - late 1960s, so isn't very good for narrowing the date down.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 05:51:37 PM »
my sincere thanks for your help and informative reply Anita  -  being rather dim I had assumed that the 'M' you speak of was in fact the beginning of the word MADE - I should have realized that I was trying to make the word go backwards  :pb:      Although I don't collect Murano, seriously, this will sit nicely with my piece of Cappellin, and can only feel it was fortunate that part of the mark remained on the glass.   Thanks again. :)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »
Paul, the label is AVeM definitely. This type of label came in one of three colors (red, blue, green). The M on the top line is the last letter of AVEM. Labels that had the name were considered their "artistic" glass. This type of label was used from the 1940s - late 1960s, so isn't very good for narrowing the date down.

http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=5&pictureid=72

Good find Paul, and keen Eyes there !!  8)  :thup:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 09:32:02 PM »
thanks very much rose - good to actually see an example of the complete label. :)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 09:42:05 PM »
There are also pictures of labels that have the dates where available in the Murano Zoo. The link is https://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/useful-links-books/murano-labels
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 01:36:32 PM »
Great bowl, Paul!  I too have one of AVEM's footed bowls.  They made a lot of them in their day and bowls have tons of quality.  http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=21&pictureid=361.  Mine still retains the original label which is red.  I really like yours.  The blue is so electric.  I am a sucker for blue glass.  

tam bam

P.S. - One question though, does your bowl contain some black ash specs?  Mine does and depending on if yours does or not may helps us pin down if your piece was made in the prior to the 1960's.  

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »
thanks tam bam  -  will have a look at the bowl again, in detail, this evening, and let you know if I can find any 'black ash specs.'     Quote from tam bam............"depending on if yours does or not may helps us pin down if your piece was made in the prior to the 1960's".          Are you suggesting that pieces with ash contaminant are known to be one side of this date line or the other??        Sounds quite a useful dating method, although actually I was offered a date earlier in the thread >:D      Apologies for being flippant, and thanks for your interest. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand