No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: request for date on Murano dish  (Read 4499 times)

Offline tam bam

• Members
Re: request for date on Murano dish
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 08:12:37 PM »
Exactly,  I think I have some info on my home computer regarding Murano furnaces and if I still have it I will post it.  I sure hope I saved the site so I don't have to search for it again.  It took me two days just to find the right info. 

tam bam

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »
sorry, this bowl doesn't seem to have any inclusions of ash that I can see  -  there are, however, quite a lot of extremely small randomly occurring bubbles in the glass.    It seems that these can be felt more on the underside of the glass, but I might be mistaken.  It's just possible that there is some undiluted colour in one or two very smallish areas of the main rim (unless this is possibly the ash you mention).   

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 09:04:48 PM »
Hm-m-m-m-mm-m....I think there are some of mine that have Ash in them...and those are not Avem, but FT.  Does that make a difference at all as to date, too ??

:huh2:

P.S. - One question though, does your bowl contain some black ash specs?  Mine does and depending on if yours does or not may helps us pin down if your piece was made in the prior to the 1960's. 

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 09:19:23 PM »
It is common for many glass companies to have ash specs in the glass.  My Dino Martins lamp has some on it and I know for a fact it was made in the 50's.  This doesn't just apply to one particular company.  Honestly, I like seeing the ash specs in older pieces.  It tells me the piece is legitimately old.  I also have a SVdA bird with ash specs in the glass. 

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 03:17:05 PM »
I looked on my computer at home last evening and I hate to say but I didn't save the article I found on Murano furnaces.  It talked about the history of the furnaces and how they use to operate and how they operate currently.  It was a fascinating read and I had to dig really deep just to find it and I guess I thought I saved it for future reference, but I guess I thought wrong.  I'll see if I can find it again.  It also talked about when most companies in Murano switched to gas furnaces and I believe it stated that most companies converted to gas in the 1950's and some in the early 60's.  This is why a lot glass pieces have ash specs in the glass that are older pieces and why you don't see the ash in today's pieces.

tam bam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand