No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Selena bowl in PINK?  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Selena bowl in PINK?
« on: June 26, 2011, 02:35:50 PM »
Found a Palmqvist Selena (?)  bowl in a most curiuous colour, namely clear cased grey grading to pink. If there is a signature it has not revealed itself, I can see some vague scratches suggesting an Orrefors signature but it is too tiny and covered in scratch.
What is this colour?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Selena bowl in PINK?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:43:23 AM »
Ivo I'm sure you've checked already but it's not neodymium is it?
I had a beautiful bowl, which I posted here somewhere, that was lime green when I bought it.  When I opened it at home I got a shock as what I found was grey pink.  It looked very similar to your colour.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 08:50:09 AM »
Actually I hadn't checked and yes, you' re right once again. So the bowl is grey "dusk?" Cased in a very light neodymium.  If I take it to a fluorescent light the whole thing turns GREEN.  It is getting weirder by the minute...

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »
It would be interesting to know why some turn green but most turn pale blue under flourescent light.  Presumably different chemicals are added to achieve the original colour.   Most Fluorite is amethyst in colour so I assume it is the cause of the change to pale Blue - I wonder what the truth is.  Anyone know?

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:21:17 AM »
Ivo this was my bowl.  Unfortunately  the photos were taken in the days when I didn't know how to use the camera very well so the colours are not that great.  Of the second lot of pics that I posted in that thread, the top one has the best likeness but because it was taken with the flash, doesn't show the grey tint well enough.  The pink was different to yours (mine more knicker elastic pink, your's definitely more gorgeous) but the grey tint was most definitely there as well.  
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,29702.msg161060.html#msg161060
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:32:14 AM »
The grey is very pronounced, and together with the blue of fluorescent neodymium it turns green - so maybe it the grey is a degraded yellow? Anyway, at least I know who the maker is - I have several of these in my favourite colour moonstone - hence the name Selena.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand