No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: recommended Books to get started  (Read 9644 times)

Anonymous

recommended Books to get started
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 12:56:01 PM »
Hi Terry,

Yes thanks, I have all the Pina books on Blenko. I also have many of Blenko's original catalogs in my library that are very helpful. I've been collecting for a while. I do refer new collectors to her books, but I always tell them they contain mis-identification and try to help them with the errors. The best books are the ones with copies of Blenko's original catalog pages. Like the Then and Now book. Only problem is some pages have been left out. Still it's good to have them.

If there is a book about Murano that is more accurate than another, I  would like to get started with that one first. I feel trying to learn about Murano is going to be a little hard, but I guess it isn't any different than learning about Blenko. To me it's because you can buy Murano just about any place, so my thinking is there must be a lot more of it out there.

Blenko is a small family owned company. Hasn't changed over the many years of blowing glass. It's kind of like stepping back in time when you visit there.

I'll check into Pina books on Murano. I would like to get as much information as I can to help me and I know books are the best source.

Thanks to everyone!

Cathy

p.s.

Yes, in Pina'a books there are pieces Ided as Blenko that are not. A large Zeller vase is the most annoying.

I was out today shopping an indoor flea market. I picked up a piece I thought was interesting. I will post a picture as soon as I get it photographed. I hope you guys don't mind looking at it. I'm hoping it's a vintage piece of Murano. LOL But of course I'm searching in the dark right now. I won't get my books for a week or so. The piece is a Genie decanter. He's really cute. The head is a ground stopper. Let me get caught up and I try and post the picture.

Anonymous

recommended Books to get started
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 03:59:51 PM »
The "gold standard" Murano books are those by Marc Heiremanns. Expensive, but worth every penny. They occasionally pop up on ebay.

Offline myself

• Members
PURCHASE OF INFORMATIVE BOOKS
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 08:53:07 AM »
Hi Bernard,

Just want to thank you for giving the names of these books out.  I have just purchased them and am waiting for them to come.  Really excited about it.

Books are:    Benson, Nigel, Glass of the '50s & '60s, Miller's, 2002.
and 20th Century Factory Glass, Mitchell Beazley, 2000

Really appreciate your help.  Thank you.

Myself

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand