Author Topic: My Czech pressed glass wish list is getting smaller... and bigger  (Read 887 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Krakow, Poland
Recently, I acquired some Czech pressed glass pieces which were on my wish list...  but it seems to me the more I've got, the more I want.  My list gets shorter, then longer.  Will there ever be an end?  I think not.  ;D

The first piece is a Frantisek Peceny vase for Hermanova, no. 20307 with heavily moulded flower decoration.  At 26cm, it is massive and almost grotesque, which is exactly what I love about it!  The vase looks alive.

The second piece is a 17cm Miroslav Kubinec vase for Hermanova, no. 20324 with what I'd call a 'flower growing from the ground'  decoration.  I really like this vase -- the more you look at it (i.e. the decoration) the more you see.  It's like a story.

The third piece is a 'nipply' Pavel Panek vase for Hermanova, no. 20218...  I just love the feel of it.

Of course, there is also the Miroslav Kubinec 'Akty' vase I posted some time ago in another thread which was my most wanted piece, and one of my most loved.

Still on my wish list, among others:
A Frantisek Peceny 20300 vase and 20211 vase (Hermanova)
A Vladislav Urban 20048 vase (Hermanova) and 13153 vase (Rudolfova)
A Jurnikl "Marguerites" vase (Rosice)
A Vizner 20047 vase (Hermanova)...

Sigh... No point in going on.  My list is almost endless.  :usd:
My Etsy shop with Czech glass: CzechGlassCollector

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: My Czech pressed glass wish list is getting smaller... and bigger
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
Anik :hiclp:, great additions to your collection!

Your wishlist is so short compared to mine...
And you have got a fair amount of pieces which are high up on my list (Matura "head" vase, Matura rectangular vase, Panek ibex,...)

At least I own a big Panek nipple vase.
And a Vizner 20047 ;D (by far my favourite SU piece).

Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 09:25:14 AM »
Anik, your list is still short compared to mine (and we are just talking of pressed glass here :))

But the Vizner jardinieres are high up on my list as well (I love the geometric and organic Sklo Union pieces a lot, the ones with floral decoration a little less).
I'm sure you will like my very first Czech pressed glass purchase, a Pavel Panek "Kvety" vase in quite an unusual shape I think -- at least I have not seen this shape anywhere else so far:http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,38057.0.html

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:16:20 AM »
Actually, the 'Kvety' range is my least favorite of Panek's designs... the pieces look bloated and without imagination (sorry Michael...  :kissy:).

I do quite like the Panek 'bellybutton' bowl I posted here:  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,41227.0.html.  But alone, it looks a bit sad and out-of-place.  That's why the two small vases which Emil has in his gallery are on my list. As a threesome, they'd make a wonderful display. :)

As for Vizner's pressed glass designs, I'd love to have them all (with the exception of the footed Rosice 862... I greatly dislike footed vases).  They're industrial and masculine and heavy... They're perfect in every way.  :sm: 

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 11:31:20 AM »
I totally agree with you, Anik! I guess I would not buy any other piece from the "Kvety" range, but I do think that the overall shape of my vase makes it much more attractive than the rest of the gang :)

And I agree as well that the Vizner 862 will not enter my collection -- looks more like a big champagne glass than a vase...
Although I think that most of Vizner's pressed glass designs are gorgeous, I was not very impressed when I saw the 13181 vase (with the maze pattern) in real life. So I didn't buy it, though it was quite cheap.

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 05:37:05 PM »
Michael, are you certain you are talking about the 13181 vase?  (I don't see it having a maze pattern...  perhaps you mean the 20082 vase?)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 08:10:01 PM »
Do you also like the Schrötter pieces from the 30s that continued in production after 1945 or are you purely into the post WW2 design? Pieces like his Rudolofova 11733 (http://sklo-union-glass.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/resized/11733_Vase_4e0b7e17af6fa_200x200.jpg) are clearly forerunners of the 50s design philosophy, albeit in lighter form and also fitting into Art Deco style.
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 05:20:48 AM »
Hi Frank  :hi:...

I tend to stick to postwar Czech designs, more specifically, mid-50s and onwards.  From what I've seen in catalogues and at the antiques market pre-war glass designs (of whatever country...  I know too little to be able to identify a maker) tend to be either too heavy and gaudy, or too dainty and busy for my taste.  I prefer cleaner, less fussy forms, and I love the optical effects, abstractions, and surface designs of post-50s pieces.  For me, the father of these designs was Schrötter's 'lens' vase from 1955 -- absolutely brilliant piece.  I've got 8 (so far) in my collection.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 08:14:07 AM »
Sorry Anik, I don't know where I had that PN from, it is the 20082 vase I was not so fond of...

Michael

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand