No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart & retailers label  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Monart & retailers label
« on: July 02, 2011, 12:31:33 PM »
Whilst doing research on Monart ware retailers I came across this label. The Wayfares arcade is in Southport and was built in 1898 and is still open today. I don't know if the actual retailer is still in business.
Gary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Monart & retailers label
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 12:40:04 AM »
Nice discovery, not heard of that one before!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »
I remember Wayfarers well; it was still in business in the 80s and 90s. They used to sell all manner of goods - the lower floor had toys and giftware, while the upper floor had an assortment of furniture. About 10-15 years ago they went out of business and the property was taken over by Multiyork. The portion of the upper gallery that had been incorporated into Wayfarers was restored and re-opened, however, the arcade I think has suffered as it's lost the variety it once had and, the large extension built to house Multiyork, which is visible from the rear, is quite unsightly.

Anyway, Wayfarers still sold glass up until their closure; they always had a nice display of Caithness paperweights and other nice pieces of art glass - I think they sold IOW Studio Glass too, though my memory is a little hazy here...

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 05:03:57 PM »
Thanks Christine and Steven for the extra info.
Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand