No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: New discovery: Monart uranium glass  (Read 10898 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
New discovery: Monart uranium glass
« on: June 30, 2011, 09:09:21 PM »
A couple of recent purchases, it was not the common shape of ZA that attracted my interest, but the unusual colour schemes in each of the bowls.The colour code 238 bowl is more lime green than shown, the bubble inclusion covers the bowl completely with none of them burst. The colour code 239 bowl has a white top and the same lime green as 238, if you hold it up to light the bottom half appears to be clear glass with the lime green can only be seen around the top. When viewed from any other angle the lime green is seen throughout the bowl.
Gary

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: Monart uranium glass ?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:10:04 PM »
Hi Gary,

I have a miniature bowl, shape MC, in this colour way, which doesn't look quite right for Monart, but you have just proved a long held belief. Thank you  8) 8)

Nigel

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:00:24 PM »
Hi Nigel I am glad this was some assistance to you, being able to positively identify your bowl as a Monart piece. This is one of the good things about the GMB, the sharing of information.
Gary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 11:33:31 PM »
One of these I will get going on listing the colours that have shown up since the last update a long time ago. One thing about Monart is that it never fails to deliver new surprises. I guess title could read "Unusual as usual"

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 02:32:26 PM »
This is my latest Monart purchase, a dressing table tray (shape RI). What I would like to find out, is this type of glass named Uranium. I will try and discribe the look of the tray. When held up in the daylight the glass appears to be clear, when put against a dark background the glass is green. My knowledge of uranium glass is next to nothing.
Gary

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 03:15:12 PM »
Wow!  :o It certainly looks like it, though named is probably the wrong word.  If it glows a really, really bright green under a UV light, then it is.
This site gives a good summary of uranium glass (aka vaseline glass) http://www.vaselineglass.org/

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 03:44:50 PM »
 :o
It does indeed look like it's uranium - and it's just glorious!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
that edge colour is a dead ringer for u.          Try it in the sunlight tomorrow morning (if we get any), although you'd probably get more sunshine in the other Perth. ;)

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 12:48:29 PM »
The sun is shining brightly in the Fair City of Perth this afternoon and I took the tray outside to the back garden and the tray looks much greener in the sun light.
Thanks Christine for the link on uranium/vasiline glass, most informative, I agree Sue it is a glorious piece.
The link below is a previous thread, pre my new but limited knowledge on uranium/vasiline glass.
Gary
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,41564.msg230348.html#msg230348

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 12:53:14 PM »
Looks like that might be uranium too.  :o You need a little UV light to check and I need a piece of uranium Monart...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand