No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Swirly Vase???  (Read 3117 times)

Offline jinnale

• Members
Swirly Vase???
« on: February 09, 2006, 01:00:20 AM »
Hi, I am hoping that someone may be able to tell me something about this little chap! It is 13 cms tall, quite heavy for it's size, the base shows wear of a few decades I think. I would be grateful for any opinions. Thanks for your time. Jen

http://i1.tinypic.com/nexj5f.jpg

Mod: The images from this post have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jinnale

• Members
Swirly Vase???
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 01:02:23 AM »
Sorry, the second link is http://i1.tinypic.com/nexlol.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Swirly Vase???
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 10:18:00 AM »
:D:shock::D

Thank you so much for posting this picture! I hope we might get somewhere with it.

I have a cylinder vase, I've had it for ages, that is the same pattern. When I bought it, I was fairly new to collecting Mdina, but I reckoned I had a "feel" or an "eye" for it, and I thought this was a piece. With a bit more experience, I started to doubt this pattern, as I never saw it again (until now!) although I was convinced that the red in it was the exact, proper shade of red. (a bit like something in the butcher's!).

Your vase and mine are both Maltese glass shapes, heaviness and colours. Seeing your vase however, makes me think they might be early Mtarfa, rather than Mdina. I have noticed in this necked style of vase, Mdina's neck is fairly straight, while Mtarfa necks tend to have a slight bulge in them, and your bulges a little.

I'm really sorry I can't post a pic. I killed the camera. :oops:

Has anybody else got any ideas about this?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Swirly Vase???
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 11:00:10 AM »
With Mdina I bow to your superior knowledge, Sue! :D

But like you my thoughts do lead me to think this may be Mtarfa.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Swirly Vase???
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 11:16:13 AM »
:D:D:D

Thanks for your vote of confidence, David, but perhaps AdamP might have something to say - I think he knows more about the more recent stuff.

I still lean towards Mtarfa though. :D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline jinnale

• Members
Swirly Vase???
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 03:53:15 PM »
Thanks for you replies, I have only ever seen two pieces of Mdina close up. and tho they felt and looked similar to this, the bases of the items were a lot more modern looking, also both pieces were signed, there is no signiture on this.  :)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Swirly Vase???
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 05:00:47 PM »
The bases are virtually always ground flat and polished so this would appear to conform with your vase.

Not all Mdina or Mtarfa items are signed, although this is unusual (but doesn't make it rare).
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline David555

• Members
Swirly Vase???
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 12:14:49 AM »
Hi

I was going to say 'Empoli', but with the thickness of the glass, size, and the flat base I would say Mdina or Mtarfa

In my nearest glass collectibles shop about 30% of Mdina pieces are not signed - from the blue/green, through tortoiseshell, and pink with blue strapping - I don't know why so much was unsigned, there are axe-head vases and random strap bottles, Mtarfa also seem to leave pieces unsigned, there will be plenty of people out there with Mtarfa pieces that have the label but no signature!

I think I recognise your piece as being Mtarfa from an agate range they did in a few different colour ways, I am sure the pink colour was popular.

I can't see it being Mdina because the main body is opaque white, that is more a Mtarfa early to mid 1980s thing

I think you can still see similar pieces amongst a lot of new very colourful items on their website - you can also email them and ask about your vase, they have been going since 1975

Mtarfa

Mdina are still doing some traditional looking stuff, they seem to have left the highly iridized 1990s (and orange random strap) behind and gone for highly coloured designer glass

Mdina

All this just IMHO

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline jinnale

• Members
Swirly Vase???
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 01:11:43 AM »
Thankyou for the links, I have done as you suggested and e-mailed with a picture to try and get an identification. If I do, will post and let you know.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand