No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early Jiri Suhajek Goblet produced at RCA 1970  (Read 3548 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Early Jiri Suhajek Goblet produced at RCA 1970
« on: July 02, 2011, 06:47:54 PM »
Hi All,

Picked up this piece at auction today, as nobody placed a bid and won the item with a £10 only bid. The goblet was blown in 1970 when Jiri Suhajek was under the tution of Sam Herman and David Queensbury at the Royal College of Art in London. Signed and dated underneath.

With the help of google, just came accross another goblet by Jiri Suhajek again dated 1970 and blown at the RCA, listed on Mark Hills blog which he purchased at the cambridge glass fair last year. Please see link below:

http://markhillpublishing.co.uk/?p=2986

Sounds fairly unusual and early, I see mark emailed Jiri Suhajek for more information..would be interested to hear what you found out Mark if your around on GMB...?

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Early Jiri Suhajek Goblet produced at RCA 1970
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:21:55 PM »
Adam A wrote some interesting information in this thread....

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,36507.msg198868.html#msg198868

m

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »
Thanks for the info M, much appreciated.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 09:53:11 AM »
 :smg:

How exciting- a very serious bit of art history!

I've been trying to get together a (so far very) small collection of pieces from this place and time!
And none of my collecting is completely over until I have a Jiri Suhajek piece of some sort! :mrgreen:

So far, I have a Pauline Solven ('67), Annette Meech ('71), Dillon Clarke ('73), Wayne Filan ('71) and Sam Herman himself, ('71 and '73).

It is not proving an easy collection to gather. And I don't have a Michael Harris piece from the RCA.... yet.

I have had to relax my date conditions to include a Fleur Tookey (no date, but definitely later) goblet, and a Steven Newell jug. I also have an unsigned, undated, Annette Meech goblet, definitely from this period though - it's completely wonky and beautiful.

I'm afraid I'd have to take issue with Mark over the attractiveness of his goblet - I think it's gorgeous and I would be excited by the goblet every bit as much as the pawmark.

I know glass is a difficult medium to master - but I also think that true artistry shows through the struggle to master the metal.

(I have to confess, I'm not quite so fond of your goblet, though - I don't like white glass  :wsh: )

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »

Your collection from this period seems to be growing Sue, some interesting names and pieces you have their. I've seen a couple of goblets by Annette Meech and they looked stunning.

Must admit it was the London wording scripted on the Goblet that interested me and the RCA connection, nice to stumble on pieces produced from this period. It was actually in a sale, where the majority of glass on sale was Whitefriars, it didn't seem to attract much interest at all.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 02:33:22 PM »
There's a photo of another small collection of nine pieces from this period in the 20th century Hajdamach book, p.421 - the collection was purchased by Brierly Hill Glass Museum (now Broadfield House Museum) from an exhibition by The Glass House at the Museum in '75.

Pah! Easy to purchase when it's all collected together like that in one place, and for sale!  :P
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 08:52:55 AM »
Hello Greg,
A jolly good thing, in my opinion. When I saw my (simpler) one, I simply had to have it. Although not a 'fine' piece in the traditional sense of the word, I believe it's important - and a wonderful thing to own and hold.
I sent an email to Mr Suhajek, who is very much alive and well, and still working in the Czech Republic. I had taken it with me on a trip to the Czech Republic when I visited a glass factory that he was meant to be working at. Alas he didn't arrive the day I was there.
However, he did respond kindly to my email and confirmed that it was one of his pieces, although he couldn't remember any details about it. He also said that he made 'many' such goblets whilst he was here in London (at either the RCA or a glass studio in 'Soho') for sale in a glass gallery in 'Soho', which I guess was the Glasshouse. He said that he thinks he has some slides somewhere of work from this period, but also that' it'd take him ages to find them. He's a very busy man, judging by his many appearances.
So, the challenge is on -- there are more out there (Sue breathes a sigh of relief and jumps in the car...!).
Hope this helps,
Best,
Mark
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 10:20:24 AM »
Many thanks for your thoughts Mark, very much appreciated.

Interesting to hear Mr Suhajek's comments on these goblets, particularly the Glasshouse connection and that their are more out there!

All the best and thanks again.

Greg

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 04:03:40 PM »
Hi friends,
you can easy write to Mr Suhajek, as Mark did. Jiri is very friendly man with good English.
here is his web site:
http://www.jirisuhajek.com/english/

I met Jiri several times this year, he was always very relaxed. On 15th September he will open his very big exhibition in Karlovy Vary (Czech republic), just good oportunity to visit my country and meet one from the last survivers of the golden period of Czechoslovakian glass.

This is Jiri Suhajek :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Enq50a-k7I

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 11:11:52 AM »
Thanks very much for the info Jindrich, I sent Mr Suhajek a quick email last week, so hoping to hear back shortly.

All the best.
Greg
 :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand