No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart Startime Decanter  (Read 2215 times)

Offline slor

• Members
Stuart Startime Decanter
« on: July 05, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
Hi there

I have a Stuart decanter and have been researching to find more info on it.  I think it might be startime pattern but havent been able to find another example of a decanter, just going on patterns on glasses.  Can anyone help me with identifying it please?  Also does anyone have any idea what it might be worth?  Thanks so much.

Leisa

https://picasaweb.google.com/109208139736520698920/StuartDecanter?authkey=Gv1sRgCNPXkNnO9-LqcQ

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Stuart Startime Decanter
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 02:30:46 PM »
Yes that's Startime. It was applied to lots of things

Offline slor

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:31:16 PM »
Thank you very much.  I wanted to make sure as Im going to put it on ebay.

Thanks Leisa

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 07:04:21 PM »
another picture or two just for reference......    rather hastily I was going to say that possibly Leisa maybe didn't have a matching stopper, but seems these things were made with some variation.         I think the cutter was bored with mine - he omitted to cut the series of smallish panels that run around the body just under the lower ring - at least the examples of Startime in Miller's/McConnell have them  -  pages 236 and 239.               The Nos. do match on this example, and about 9" (230 mm) tall with stopper fitted.
The base pattern originates from the mould, and the rest of the decoration looks to be limited to copper wheel work of varying forms.
Startime was apparently a Kny design, factory pattern No. 27542, originally from around the mid 1930's and lasting until the 1960's.     There are very few references to this design in the Board's archives, and assume uncommon in decanter form - don't recall seeing one before today.

P.S.   just noticed the lack of polished pontil scar on Leisa's bottle, and in Miller's pix can't see any  -  possibly the base pattern was cut on those (to obliterate the pontil scar) whereas mine has a moulded base pattern.   
The mould was also provided with indents on the neck, thus creating the 'rings' when the piece was blown - no likely an inexpensive piece to produce.     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand