No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart Vase  (Read 3156 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Monart Vase
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 06:46:29 PM »
I think all Monart is really a bit "out of the ordinary".
But yours is especially special. ;D

Nigel Benson gave a lovely lecture on it at the Edinburgh Conference, asking the question;
"Is Monart really very early Studio Glass?" outlining the similarities.

I have to agree, Monart is really very early Studio Glass, although the term was not used until the Toledo lectures of 23rd March 1963, which is the "official birthday" of that movement.

But Monart is also individually hand made and mouth blown, each piece absolutely unique work, made by artists. It wasn't made in a big factory, with loads of modern equipment and facilities for melting large volumes of metal and well controlled annealing ovens, it wasn't mass produced to designs.
They worked in a draughty wooden shed!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline orangeglass

• Members
    • ysart
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 07:03:39 PM »
I think they were "ahead of their time" - my visitors are often surprised when I tell them when they were first made - I have often had comments about how they look more modern!
I just love the uniqueness of them and the gorgeous colours and the way they are used!  :D
Roberta

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 08:02:11 PM »
I think they were "ahead of their time" - my visitors are often surprised when I tell them when they were first made - I have often had comments about how they look more modern!
I just love the uniqueness of them and the gorgeous colours and the way they are used!  :D
My sentiments exactly.

I think all Monart is really a bit "out of the ordinary".
But yours is especially special. ;D

Nigel Benson gave a lovely lecture on it at the Edinburgh Conference, asking the question;
"Is Monart really very early Studio Glass?" outlining the similarities.

I have to agree, Monart is really very early Studio Glass, although the term was not used until the Toledo lectures of 23rd March 1963, which is the "official birthday" of that movement.

But Monart is also individually hand made and mouth blown, each piece absolutely unique work, made by artists. It wasn't made in a big factory, with loads of modern equipment and facilities for melting large volumes of metal and well controlled annealing ovens, it wasn't mass produced to designs.
They worked in a draughty wooden shed!
I agree with everything you say there Sue, apart from the last sentence. As for as I know the Monart shop was always situated in the main factory buildings at Moncrieff  glassworks and not in a wooden shed.
 The Vasart glassworks down in Perth harbour area was made up of wooden sheds.
Below are 3 images of the Monart work area, the first two are pre war and the third is post war.
Gary
Images are reproduced with the kind permission of Perth museum

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2015, 08:34:21 PM »
I don't know why, but I always find it very touching to see a photo of the person at work, who made one of my pieces. Thank you for sharing these images Gary.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 11:25:42 AM »
And thank-you for correcting me. :) Always appreciated.

However, I had always been of the impression that the reason so many bits of Monart turn themselves into jigsaws was because the temperature of the annealling ovens could not be properly controlled because of the draughtly wooden shed they were in?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 09:02:15 PM »
very nice piece , I have the same shape in a different colourway and the same colourway on a different shape. also like yours it  has the surface decorated applied foot, I also a several pieces signed monart made in Scotland which was used on most pieces exported to America/Canada/New Zeland and Australia , im sure there may have been more countries but that is just the places where I have purchased  signed ones from
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand