No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: probable 'Studio' glass, but who?  (Read 3610 times)

Offline scimiman

• Members
Re: probable 'Studio' glass, but who?
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 01:12:31 PM »
As I have said before concentrating on the iridescence will lead you up more blind alleys than if you spent time on the two strongest points in helping you identify a possible maker and that is to concentrate more on the type of blue colourway and the finishing on the base. The same type of iridescence can be used by so many different manufacturer's and studios.
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 01:36:45 PM »
I'm going by base finish and shape, Mike, not the iridesence itself - if it's not the silver chloride type, which is highly distinctive, I'm pretty clueless.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 02:44:09 PM »
I certainly had it in mind to aski Colin Green at Alum Bay, he has surprised me before with a confirmation, so will give them a try first.   Anyway thanks to everyone for all their input so far. :)

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 02:54:36 PM »
I'm going by base finish and shape, Mike, not the iridesence itself - if it's not the silver chloride type, which is highly distinctive, I'm pretty clueless.

I think you may have one of those pieces that may never be identified as there are just to few clues with no prominant distingishing marks or features.
It may just be a student piece from a thousand different places if so we may never know.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 03:04:24 PM »
Perfectly posssible, Mike - but it's still very nice - and it's not RB - it's far too thick.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 08:59:50 AM »
As always a prompt and friendly reply from Alum Bay................"Hi Paul it could be ours as a sample piece or could be Gozo or iow   -    Kind regards   -   Colin".

I'm a more than a bit dim on most of the Maltese and derivatives etc., and had rather overlooked the fact that IOW Studio did turn out some ground/polished flat bases in the early 80's (as discussed in Mark Hill's book).        I had thought that IOW pieces showed only:    snapped pontils (for the really early bits), and then coach bolt and flame marks for the later pieces.      Is there someone to ask re the possibility of IOW Studio??      Any thoughts anyone. :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 10:25:51 AM »
The studio has it's own forum, free to join although it tends to be a bit quiet - and the studio themselves are always very helpful indeed.
But I really, really don't think it's IoWSG - not the right shape and far too thick.
This is a pic of a small Gozo piece I have.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 10:41:22 AM »
As always a prompt and friendly reply from Alum Bay................"Hi Paul it could be ours as a sample piece or could be Gozo or iow   -    Kind regards   -   Colin".

I'm a more than a bit dim on most of the Maltese and derivatives etc., and had rather overlooked the fact that IOW Studio did turn out some ground/polished flat bases in the early 80's (as discussed in Mark Hill's book).        I had thought that IOW pieces showed only:    snapped pontils (for the really early bits), and then coach bolt and flame marks for the later pieces.      Is there someone to ask re the possibility of IOW Studio??      Any thoughts anyone. :)

The guy you need to contact to eliminate Malta and IOW glass studios is Me ol mate Ron from Artius Glass
Just google Artius glass and send him an email he is always forthcoming with his immense knowledge of all these studios.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 10:49:45 AM »
very many thanks to both of you and I will continue the search along the lines you have suggested, and let you know how I get on :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »
As suggested, I did contact Ron Wheeler  -  and, as you might expect he has graciously given his thoughts on this piece  - although, as he comments, we are not necessarily much further forward:
""Hello Paul,
Well now, interesting, and not easy to identify. One reason is that your image file is so large that I cannot see it in whole form on my screen (I did in fact rectify that issue :))
However as far as I can judge it does not coincide with a surface decoration which matches the shapes of the period of the shape of the design i.e. the shape is that of designs by Michael (Harris) up to around 1980 but the decoration has similarities to those produced after 1988 in a similar style to the Nightscape range designed by Mike in that year and still on the range produced at the studio (look on the Studio website).
However Tim(Harris) did produce some specials in that shape in 1993/6 so it does not preclude the making of this one.
Now my only other suggestion is that is could have been made by one of the glass makers who left and started his own studio not far away on the island. His name is Chris Lucas and traded as Touch of Glass but having been schooled at the studio (I.o.W.S.G.) all he produced was his own version of a well established product and so was doomed to failure - which he did.
He now works again, when required, at the studio and his wife is one of the Studio accountants independently.
So in conclusion you are right, it may never be positively identified. Sorry about that. However if you could reduce the file size so that I could see it in it's entirety it may help.
Hope that is of some help.                  (at this stage I reduced the image size)
Well personally it does look more like those I have seen by Phoenician Glass but if they say no then they should know I guess. It does not actually match those from Chris Lucas but you can never say 'never' in such cases -  Other info. still stands.       
However I always quote that 'it is impossible to know everything about everything and very difficult to know everything about something - because there will always be someone who actually does.
Best regards.     Ron""

I have removed a very small amount of text from Ron's reply (not relevant to an id) - but the above is 99% of what he has said, and again, my thanks to him for sparing the time to reply. :)

Might I ask please that the Mods. now remove - from the subject heading - my misleading reference to Royal Brierley.  Thanks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand