No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: V&A Museum online collection - Monart  (Read 5269 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
V&A Museum online collection - Monart
« on: July 08, 2011, 12:33:37 AM »
Blimey they got there, just need to add some photographs of the glass.... http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O48752/vase/

Do lots of searches on Monart vasart ysart Strathearn to try and get them interested in adding pics.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: V&A Museum online collection - Monart
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 05:59:53 AM »
yes I find it rather frustrating that I go to search, they appear to have lots of items, then...ah....they don't have any pictures.  I go to the Dudley Museum site (no idea what its called) and they seem to be better organised with glassy pictures.
Actually Frank....what a great project for someone - to photograph and load up the V&A missing glass pictures.  Now that would be a fab job.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 10:06:14 AM »
thanks for the link to the V. & A.  -  I wasn't aware that these images were available (all good stuff lady, as Max used to say  -  not our Max, of course).          I have now asked them for a response regarding pictures of the Scottish material, so will let you know their reply.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 11:17:02 AM »
reply today from the V. & A.      "Thank you for your email.   We are currently experiencing a high volume of enquiries.     We will do our best to reply within the next 20 working days.      We appreciate your patience at this busy time.   If your enquiry is urgent, please telephone the Section on 020 7942 2073. Thank you".

I have always found them very helpful, so must assume they are genuinely very busy  -  they could, of course be spending all their time up-loading the Scottish pictures ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »
Perhaps somebody might like to suggest to them that Ysart glass was not made in GLASGOW....
  :thud:  I suppose it is north of Watford, but you'd think a museum might have tried to get their geography correct.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 10:38:47 PM »
Already alerted them on that. English museums, sassenachs!  :sc:

I think they bought a lot of stuff from Jackson too, did some putting right many moons ago. ...oh too many moons. :tsk:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 04:27:13 PM »
just had a reply from the Ceramics & Glass Collections Dept. at the V. & A. ............and I did ask for permission to quote verbatim, but this may not happen as they decline to discuss the nature of their replies, normally, so I will just give a synopsis of their response.       Their reply indicates that so far only a small part of the glass collection has been photographed.    It would appear that, whilst they want the entire collection available for on line viewing, a continuation of this project is heavily reliant on resources/funds, and currently this is very much subject to museum priorities.      Being the glass and ceramics department, they informed me that during the course of 2010, they completed a programme of photographing something like 30,000 pieces (of ceramics) - I assume these are available on line, but don't really know.        In a similar way to the ceramics, it is the department's hope that they are able to finish photographing the glass, as and when they can find the resources to do so.

Haven't a clue as to the overall size of the glass collection, imagine it's very substantial  -  don't know if it is the largest within the UK, or not - but project obviously on hold for the time being.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 04:44:50 PM »
It would be good if the job went to a paid professional photographer of couse, but if funds are that tight, it sounds like an excellent task for a work experience for a photography student.  Perhaps they should contact the Universities and offer a work experience week to someone on the photographic course?
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 05:06:10 PM »
 :hi:

Brilliant idea m  :hiclp: - and the lucky winning student could then ask for folk to sponsor them, to raise extra funds!

(I don't understand sponsoring somebody to have a lovely trip abroad to walk the great wall, or climb Kilimonjaro, get them to do something useful, something worth sponsoring.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 05:14:37 PM »
Actually if they found a photographer I wouldn't mind going up for the week to catalogue and match  ;D  what a  fab way to spend a week surrounded by all that beautiful glass.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand