No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Id please. Signed tall blue glass engraved cylindrical vase. ID=Ivor Abrahams  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Id please. Signed tall blue glass engraved cylindrical vase.
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 03:02:07 PM »
The dates fit; he didn't join the RA until 1989.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 03:18:24 PM »

Offline jeanne

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 04:59:57 PM »
Thank you all. I have emailed Him and wait to see what happens. Will let you know. Thanks

Offline jeanne

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »
Hello
At the moment emails to the contact address on the website are being rejected both with and without pictures.

Offline jeanne

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »
Am going to try through the RA

Offline jeanne

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 09:18:35 PM »
Hello
Thought you might like to know what we have found out so far.
Through the RA we contacted the gallery in London that represents Ivor Abrahams. They forwarded our query and he replied to us saying that it was indeed his; it had been produced in association with RA Enterprises. The RA Enterprises buyer has managed a little information and is working on a bit more. It was produced before she came to the RA. It was in their 1994 catalogue, is called a 'Seasons Vase'. It sold then for £39.95. She says that pieces of a similar provenance now would be around £200. If she manages to find out more on the production process I will let you know.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk

I've been watching this for a while....I believe that you will eventually trace the blank to Nazeing Glass Works. Send them an email ;)

Nigel

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Hi,

I've just rescued the one I bought some years ago. It also has a mark on the side below the images, which says "Ann Christopher", and below in the same block, (c) 1994 . Just to make sure there's no confusion - it's also marked indistictly on the base "Ivor Abrahams" with "Seasons" below, as yours Jeanne.

Nigel

Offline jeanne

• Members
That is interesting. Our vase has no other names, only the signature on the base. I see that Ann Christopher is also an RA Sculpter as is Ivor Abrahams. I await further info from the RA: the buyer was to contact a glass designer that she thought might have been the one to do the work. I shall pass this information on to her. Thanks again
Jeanne

Offline jeanne

• Members
Well I took up the suggestion of emailing Nazeing glass works and today received this reply!

Hi Jeanne,
I can confirm that the glass vase was made by us for the Royal Academy of Arts, using a design by Ivor Abrahams RA, on e of 4 RA artists we wroked with
in the 1990's.
I was in charge of Sales then, and negotiated the contract and met Ivor. I even have a signed copy of his book of this period. 
His dancing figures were bold and strong, and he did some sketches that we sand blast engraved on the vases.

As to value now, I have no idea. I can try and dig out the RA file from our archives and see what they were selling for then, about £39-£45 each, I should think,
and we engraved 25-50 I guess, so there are not too many around.

I would offer £25 plus postage costs for our Museum,but you could try to offer it at £37.50 and see if someone wants it at that price.

I hope this helps.
Regards,

Stephen Pollock-Hill
Managing Director.

How exciting is that? We will send pic. of it to our friendly auction house and see what they think of the value and the best way to sell it. Any thoughts from members will be useful.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand