No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Waterstaining on an early Vizner vase for Sklo Union  (Read 5940 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Bitter disappointment or an opportunity
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 12:48:17 AM »
Leni said
So now the cats have their night-time drink on a beautiful glass tray!  I just hope those spoilt girls appreciate it!  

That's another great use for our doubled-up glass items.  :D  Lucky cats!

I remember I told a chap at the Cambridge Glass Fair (who was exhibiting a large streaky, knobbly WF glass bowl) "I use one of those for a cat bowl".  He was very unimpressed, and I felt awful!  lol!
I am not a man

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 09:23:52 AM »
:D:D:D

I'm not sure I'd have used a streaky knobbly WF bowl for the cats, Max, I really like them, and would worry a little about causing water damage, on the other hand, I'm a little green around the edges, as I think about the idea of sophisticated cats drinking out of it! No different really to using lovely wine glasses, I think using beautiful things does enhance life.

Well done Leni!

Mine have recently taken to drinking out of a very old cut glass jug - although probably not antique yet. I don't think it's anything really good, but it's been in the family all my life and familiarity can breed contempt.

At my brother's house once I saw the cats jumping onto the coffee table and drinking out of the bowl of floating candles. I said, "The cats are drinking out of your floating candle bowl!". My brother said, "No, there are candles in the cat's drinking bowl."
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2006, 11:02:03 AM »
I had to buy a 'tumble-up' for my night-time drink of water, 'cos one cat kept jumping up onto the bedside table and sticking her head in my glass of water!   :evil:  :roll:

I think I like your brother, too, Sue!   :lol:
Leni

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2006, 05:52:26 PM »
We have exactly the same problem here Leni, but we don't have a tumble-up.  :(  

Books placed on top of the glass are just shoved off with a paw.  :evil:  The only fail safe way to tell if your glass has been catted, is to check for splashes around the surrounding area.  I'm sure we've shared our water with them before now.  Ewww!  Or is that Mewwwww!   :roll:  IGMC
I am not a man

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 07:18:14 PM »
Quote from: "Max"
We have exactly the same problem here Leni, but we don't have a tumble-up.  :(  

I got a nice hand-painted one very cheap on ebay :lol:
I'm sure we've shared our water with them before now.  Ewww!  Or is that Mewwwww!   :roll:  IGMC

I'm sure I've drunk 'catted' water before now, but the final straw was when Pashmina got her big fat head stuck in the glass (it was one of Adam A's lovely heavy 'bubbled' glasses) and knocked the whole lot over!   :evil: :roll:
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 10:34:24 PM »
Well I just bought some photo lights from a seller on the Dutch Markplaats. Very enthusiastic and quick to answer mails.

The items arrived but were completely different from those shown in the photo and no stands... as in the photo. Contact seller, not a sound...

No purchase protection, no feed back mechanism. Stuffed. My only hope now is selling on eBay for more than I paid.

Sklounion

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 08:34:47 PM »
Thanks for your feed-back on this.

Every cloud so they say has a silver lining. In this case, closer examination shows a number of interesting issues.

It is an early Vizner vase for Sklo Union, and is shown in the Warmus book on Vizner. Yet, when looked at very closely:

The quality of the mould is mediocre, with quite clear surface pitting in the mould's exterior surfaces. There are really quite pronounced mould lines.
There are a number of large pressing flaws.

This is not the first piece like this.

I was recently sent two variants of another Sklo Union vase, ostensibly matching an earlier acquisition (Thanks, Peter).

These are hand-pressed, and though not yet with an id of the designer, there are wide variations between the three. Two are topaz, of different shades. Both exhibit a round shouldered plunger, yet the blue vase, same pattern has a much different plunger shape? or is that merely caused by post-pressing finishing? Heights differ by upto 1cm and widths are varied.
(I shall be posting more images to the Sklo Union thread as soon as I am able)

They are very rewarding, and show just how difficult getting things right, from the gather onwards, is, even for highly skilled workers.

Today, I am not so upset. :lol:

Regards,

Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand