No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glen - Manhattan/Rindskopf similarity?  (Read 4943 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Glen - Manhattan/Rindskopf similarity?
« on: February 09, 2006, 12:53:15 PM »
Glen,

You are probably aware that in your Czech special, p. 15, in the Rindskopf catalogue pages there are some butter dishes at the bottom which have a pattern not unlike the EAPG Manhattan pattern.

http://tinyurl.com/bvtww

The tumbler has the clearest view.

Could the following from David Doty's site actually be Rindskopf?

http://www.ddoty.com/manhattan.html

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 01:09:36 PM »
Cathy - I am about to leave the house for a while, so I'll get back on this fully later. But quickly, I will just say that I feel the pieces Dave shows are most likely U.S. Glass Co. I can add that the "Souvenir Vase" in the pattern is known with "Hot Springs, Arkansas" writing.

Much more later...........

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 05:11:41 PM »
Back now - I'll try and add to what I wrote earlier.

The whole issue of Carnival Glass in designs that appear to be United States Glass Co. patterns is actually rather complex. We addressed it in one of our previous "NetworK" articles on US Glass, but at the time we were not aware that Rindskopf has also made a "look-alike".

There are some Carnival items in US Glass patterns (eg The States) that were very possibly made in Argentina. There are also some items that appear to be from US Glass, that are in a very pale marigold, that I believe are "water ambered glass" (iridised after manufacture in springs such as Marlin or Slattersville Springs). There are also items found in US Glass "look-alike" patterns seen in European makers catalogs such as Brockwitz and Rindskopf - and to go even further afield, we also know of some items that have "Made in Japan" on them.

I think that the patterns in the Brockwitz and Rindskopf catalogs that are similar to US Glass designs were just "inspired by" US Glass. With reference to the ones you mention, Cathy, in the Rindskopf catalog, I'll add that those are the only two items I can find. I think they were "one offs" and not a complete range or "service" in the pattern.

Glen

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 05:52:40 PM »
Quote from: "Glen"
"water ambered glass" (iridised after manufacture in springs such as Marlin or Slattersville Springs).

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  How is that done, Glen?   :?  What is the chemical in the water, and how does it affect the glass?  I'm intrigued!   :shock:
Leni

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 06:02:55 PM »
Leni - at Slaterville Springs in New York State, glass was (I think the springs are now closed, but someone is sure to know for sure) iridised by the process of what the owners called "Water Ambering".

My understanding is that it is the minerals in the waters that cause the effect. Clear glass was deposited in the waters for around 6 weeks to become coated with a light amber iridiscence. I understand the effect can be removed with muriatic acid, among other agents.

I have heard that Marlin Springs does the same thing.

If you've seen this sort of light amber iridescence it is very easy to recognise. It is pale - not deep - and the iridescence is very light indeed.

Glen

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 02:25:48 AM »
Thank you for that information, Glen!

It's always intriguing when one off pieces which seem to be heavily influenced by other companies' glass appear. Do you think Rindskopf might have bought the moulds, or are they sufficiently different from the originals to know for sure that they were copied?

Cathy

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 08:17:51 PM »
Cathy, I can only say what I feel - as I don't have any proof and frankly I doubt if proof exists. I think that Rindskopf copied the design on just a couple of pieces. My reasoning is this:

* Rindskopf was a huge manufacturing concern, with its own mould shops

* Some years ago (actually rather a lot of years ago) I had several conversations with a lady who was the unofficial historian at Indiana Glass. She told me that they had bought a lot of moulds from US Glass - she also told me that Indiana sold on moulds to Argentina (and those sold included some of the US Glass ones). I don't think they would have sold them to Czechoslovakia

The first fact above is clearly true. The second is unrecorded, word of mouth, but it makes perfect sense to me.

Glen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand