No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Midsummer Glass?  (Read 12073 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Midsummer Glass?
« on: February 10, 2006, 07:14:25 PM »
I recently listed an item on Ebay and have received an Ebay generated Email from a helpful member who has suggested my vase was made by Midsummer Glass of Cambridge. I have checked the name through an Internet search engine but can find only very limited information.
Can any of you very knowledgeable folk come up with some concrete info on this company please  :?: :?
Cheers,
Bryn (not Brian)

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
Midsummer Glass?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 06:00:44 PM »
Did a quick search for you, but as you say came up with very limited info.  Take a look at the following article.

http://www.cambridgeglassfair.com/exhibitors/interviewarchive/int-ron-wheeler.htm

As agents for Midsummer glass they might be able to help.  Their website is:

www.artiusglass.co.uk

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Midsummer Glass?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 06:32:45 PM »
Hi Pat,
Thanks, that was the only info I could find, which is quite odd really given their appearance at the Cambridge fair, an event of some note in the Glass collecting field. :?
I shall give Artius a try.
Cheers,
Bryn (not Brian)

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Midsummer Glass?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 01:41:53 PM »
Dillon Clarke ran a number of studios after leaving the Glasshouse, as well as teaching in a number of polytechnics and universities. The first was Cambridge Glassmakers. Christopher Irons was invloved with this short-lived venture which was replaced by Midsummer Glassmakers, a successful production studio which produced a popular irridescent range of vases, fruit etc as well as wine-glasses. Some time after Anthony Wassall left to start Hothouse,  Dillon Clarke moved to Sunderland and set up Phoenix Glass. Subsequently Roger Tye who had moved from Cowdy Glass to Phoenix took over the studio.

All of this is from memory so if I have any of the details out of synch, please excuse me.

Why not post a picture of the piece...as we used to sell Midsummer in the 80's, I might be able to recall it.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Midsummer Glass?
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 05:17:54 PM »
Hi aa,
What happened there, I posted the picture but it seems to have disappeareared into hyperspace. Lets try again. :?
http://i1.tinypic.com/nnmqlz.jpg
Lets hope it arrives on earth this time.
Bryn (not Brian.)

Moderator: Large picture converted to link which is now dead

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Midsummer Glass?
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 06:47:45 AM »
Bump Is this by Dillon Clarke? Ron Wheeler (Artius) has suggested my blue one is.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Midsummer Glass?
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 04:51:35 PM »
See pics of a super Midsummer Glass vase here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,39542.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Pat B

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 07:32:18 PM »
We have several pieces of Midsummer Glassmakers glass, bought directly from the workshop in the 1980s.  3 are vases in the blue iridescent finish, and one is a "one-off" made by Malcolm Sutcliffe, numbered 1286, in a dark purple clear glass with a lustre finish. The last item I bought at the closing down sale before the site at the edge of Midsummer Common in Cambridge was redeveloped for housing.  We had often watched from the the viewing platform as the glassmakers worked.  I believe Malcolm Sutcliffe is still working and has a website.

Pat B

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 07:40:46 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board  :)
it would be lovely to see your pieces if you could upload photos.
m

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 01:46:16 AM »
Dillon Clarke ran a number of studios after leaving the Glasshouse, as well as teaching in a number of polytechnics and universities. The first was Cambridge Glassmakers. Christopher Irons was invloved with this short-lived venture which was replaced by Midsummer Glassmakers, a successful production studio which produced a popular irridescent range of vases, fruit etc as well as wine-glasses. Some time after Anthony Wassall left to start Hothouse,  Dillon Clarke moved to Sunderland and set up Phoenix Glass. Subsequently Roger Tye who had moved from Cowdy Glass to Phoenix took over the studio.

All of this is from memory so if I have any of the details out of synch, please excuse me.

Why not post a picture of the piece...as we used to sell Midsummer in the 80's, I might be able to recall it.

Just adding another snippet I found re location of Cambridge and Midsummer Glassmakers to this topic...

Hippodrome, Auckland Road (bottom end, next to Midsummer Common)
The Hippodrome was rebuilt in 1913 as The Gaiety Theatre but closed two years later and the building was converted to commercial purposes in 1920.
The site became Cambridge Glassmakers in 1981 and then Midsummer Glassmakers, until about 1996 when it became housing.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand