No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Black Azurene pedestal bowl...IOW or who?  (Read 1130 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Re: Black Azurene pedestal bowl...IOW or who?
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 09:35:46 AM »

St Johns Crystal...I dragged that out of my memory from somewhere.  I need to look them up.  I thought they only did animals and I can't remember all the details of what they were licensed to produce with IOW, but have now remembered that it was a short relationship....1980's?.
m
http://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com/isleofman

Chris :sun:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 09:54:53 AM »
Thank you Chris for the link  :)  I'm going to do a bit of reading up now for reference, on other associated makers to Isle of Wight.
Sue  :rah:  :rah:  thank you so much for the information.  And it is nice to know it is a fairly unusual piece.
Looking at it in daylight, it looks as though it had some silver on it as well, but the effect it has left is much nicer than my azurene donut I had.  It's has a few subtle delicate milky/cloudy areas, rather than the definite blue patches that were on my donut.  I love it and especially the shape, which is my all time favourite.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
Two Azurene lollipops for comparison. One early, a little lumpy in shape, with the silver having reacted a bit, and the other much later, where the technique has been perfected, the shape is perfect and it has been irridised with stannous chloride.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 06:43:46 PM »
It turns out that pink St Johns bowl is three inches by three inches too. If Sue knows this as an IoW shape and size then I think that is that sorted. Although the finish, especially with that blued area looks like IoW, I could not find a bowl in this size looking through the shape lists. At least that is my excuse. ;D

John

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 06:53:55 PM »
There can be no doubt that it is 101% I.O.W
Just because you cant find it on an Studios web site dosent mean its not theirs. It would ne impossible to put every bit of glass they ever make. 
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 06:57:03 PM »
It's certainly not in the book, John, but I've got a printout of the reply from Jo Silvester (Elizabeth Harris' sister) at IoWSG. The odd, marvered base finish is absolutely correct.
It is 100% correct - 101% would be a bit of a statistical oddity, Mike!  :24:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 07:55:33 PM »
Mike, at the back of Mark Hill's book there are a load of the studio's shape lists for various ranges, year by year. I know they do not cover every range or for that matter year but they are a decent starting point for standard production items.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 08:29:31 PM »
I know this has now been id'd as IOW studio glass, however I've just picked up on the significance of the link Chris gave (sorry Chris, I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes).  The link shows a piece of 'Azurene type' glass, a donut shaped bowl in blue with gold leaf on it.  It is from St Johns and it says on the website that without the documentation attached to it, it could have been mistaken for an IOW piece.  The significance for me is, that with just reading the book, I had not realised that St Johns also did some pieces other than animals, with gold leaf on them.  The book does talk about Kerry Glass mentioning 3 main ranges and another 'core' range , so the implication is that there are other ranges not mentioned, however without Sue knowing the information she has given, I would have gone down the route of thinking I had an 'unusual' possibly Kerry Glass piece.
Thanks again everyone, for your input and help  :sun:   I'm delighted it has turned out to be a piece of IOW glass.  As it turns out it is a more than great replacement for the donut shaped piece, as I can see the inky blue better in this bowl.
m

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 01:49:04 PM »
Here you go from the Oracle himself that is Ron of Artius Glass
Yep, Early small votive (1978-80) in Azurene. About £45.00 at retail
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 02:19:48 PM »
Thank you Mike  :sun: 
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand