No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early Whitefriars amber bubble dump/doorstop ? ID = Not a known Whitefriars  (Read 7503 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I suspect this might be Whitefriars (nothing new there  :-[ ) . I would have posted it on WF.com but I find it easyer to post photos here and it might not be WF ! So appologies to WF.com (if it is) !. I think it might be quite an early example if it is .

There are two sets of bubbles. The outer set and an inner set. The inner set of bubbles (forming a ball shape) has the central, large, elongated bubble ballooning up from the centre top of the inner set  . It's very  difficult to see this in the photos because of the mass of bubbles . 4 1/4 inches tall & 3 1/2 inches (ish) wide.

I hope this is of interest and that it turns out to be WF !!  :X: Thanks very much for looking !
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I suspect the base would rule out WF

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Yes , I thought that too, but I'm thinking quite early , perhaps early 1930's or earlier ?
Mike

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People

I suggest checking out the Whitefriars catalogues on Whitefriars catalogues. It looks to me like one of the many generic 'bubbles in coloured glass' designs, some of which can be attributed to Whitefriars, and many of which were made by other makers. But they are all equally attractive, in my opinion!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
I'd be surprised if this was Whitefriars, I don't "know" it at all and the colour is not a good  W/F Amber if you know what I mean
 :ac1:

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
I go with the dont think so brigade ,the base is a no no plus colour .

Offline daveweight

• Members
To the best of my knowledge Whitefriars made only one large doorstop dump with a large elongated central bubble encased in a swirl, it was done it two colours black and blue and the shape looked nothing like this so I would say this weight is definitely not Whitefriars and it looks quite modern to me
Dave

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks All !

I have to thank you all so much for all your hugely helpfull advice !

It was the general shape & size and spacing of the bubbles with the feature of a  larger central bubble which prompted me to think down the Whitefriars line. Also the general 'Victorian Dump' look with the rough pontil scar which made me think it might be an early example along with the wear to the base and light overall scratching.

I totally agree with everyone ! I think it could well be quite modern , as the bubble design is almost too neat; also the amber colour looks a bit weak for Whitefriars as Emmi & John suggested  (ta !).  

It will make a nice door-stop though !

Thanks again !  Mike  :hi:

Mike

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Confused by the ID = Not a known Whitefriars, added at the end ?
Chris

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Why the confusion, Chris? It's what the consensus of opinion has stated.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand