No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ysart or not Ysart, that is the question---misquote of WS  (Read 4930 times)

Offline Roger H

• Members
Ysart or not Ysart, that is the question---misquote of WS
« on: July 15, 2011, 08:38:43 PM »
   Hi all, just to change the subject for a while. Ebay item 260799565112 which is well and truly over as an auction, was it a Paul Ysart, I would doubt it . What do you think . Regards Roger.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Ysart or not Ysart, that is the question---misquote of WS
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 08:44:58 PM »

I think it is 'Paul Ysart' in the sense of 'Paul Ysart studio' - ie not necessrily made by Paul, but perhaps by one of his Harland apprentices. It looks right in terms of design and rather poor choice of colours (IMHO)!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 10:20:59 PM »
    That sounds very feasible and explains a lot. That gives me another line of thought. Regards Roger.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 12:49:05 AM »
Does not sound feasible to me. More likely someone has got some labels!

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 08:01:39 PM »
Hi Frank

I agree ! 

Seller says that there are faint marks on the base where it has stood.

The label from its position must also have been touching the shelf and
yet is absolutely pristine. Supposedly, the label has been in situ for a
minimum of 32 years !

Best regards

Derek

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 12:12:58 AM »
I put my Moderotor hat on and changed the item number in the original post to a link to the completed eBay listing - to make it easier for viewing while the listing still remains.

Swapping my moderatior hat for my 'collector-of-Ysart-things' hat, I can safely say that I have no idea whether this weight was or was not made at Paul Ysart's works in Wick. I have no examples of any Paul Ysart crown design, either made by him or any of his assistants. I agree that the label appears to have no wear at all, which is a bit odd. It also has no indication of the edge of the cracking-off mark showing as a ridge in the label, which would normally be expected if the label has been in contact with the support surface for many years.

But even if the label has been added in recent times, could the weight still be from the Harland years?

Anyone seen any similarly formed crown weights from any other maker? One point is that it is unlikely to be one of David R. Hurry's weights from his Vida Glass company as I believe they were all signed as well having a label.
KevinH

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 12:05:06 PM »
Hi

I have three Paul Ysart crowns. One similar to the Ebay Item but without any label, One the same size but made of all filigree type canes as used in Ysart Snakes. This has a Rectangular PY Made in Scotland Label. The third is a Magnum Crown also made out of more muted Filigree canes which also has a Rectangular PY Made in Scotland Label. Is the Round Blue PY Label significant??

Having made this posting I then looked up Colin's book and he says that both labels were used at Harland.

Roy

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 12:29:18 PM »

Thanks Roy - I was beginning to have doubts about whether I had remembered correctly. I saw a lot of 10 or twelve of these crowns at auction a few years ago, along with some similar sized lots of other Paul Ysart Harland era weights.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 08:51:43 PM »
 Well,well,well, that has got some interesting comments. My wife said originally,what about if one of the original apprentices retained a batch of labels and is now producing PY type weights and putting old labels on them. That was the thought I originally would not mention.
      Apart from the fake late 1980s PYs has anyone ever seen a fake "H" weight ? :ooh:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 12:56:41 AM »
I had a phone call tonight from a researcher who does not visit here and he mentioned in passing... I heard that there is third batch of fake Ysart weights in garish colours and poorly executed.

Seems to me this is one of those.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand