No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass designs  (Read 2344 times)

Offline robert vickers

• Members
Glass designs
« on: February 10, 2006, 10:21:07 PM »
Hi,  I have been researching my family tree and have found that one of my ancestors Thomas Seago who was a glass cutter and along with Benjamin Johnson I understand that they had approximately 10 registered designs.  I also believe that there may have been some involvement in the Islington Glass Company of Birmingham.  The designs were registered between 1874 and 1877.  Some were registered in the name of Seago and Co.  I am very interested to find out what these designs were and wonder if anyone can help me.

Thanks for your time

Rob Vickers
magination can be more valuable than than knowledge

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Glass designs
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 11:37:55 PM »
Hi Robert, and welcome to this board.

I think Bernard might be able to help here. Although I'm based in Brum and have heard of Islington Glass Company, I can't really take it much further although I think they got absorbed into one of the larger companies? The following was gleaned from www.great-glass.co.uk:

Islington Glass Works
Birmingham, England (19th Century)
Listed 1803 as operated by Owen Johnson. 1849 became Rice, Harris & Son. 1860 became the Islington Glass Co. Some paperweights include canes lettered "IGW"

At a guess they were probably based in Islington Row, which is a road still in use.

Good hunting :) [/quote]
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Glass designs
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 11:54:14 PM »
Hi Rob,

Seago, Johnson are listed on the Great Glass site here:
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/mans-s.htm - you may already have found this, but if not it's a good starting point.

There is a list of registered design nos for glass on the Great Glass site here:
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/numbers.htm - if you can find the numbers listed for your folks then the next step would be to search the National Archives for details of the designs: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

Good luck! :)

By the way, is there a connection between your Thomas Seago and Edward Seago, the artist?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline robert vickers

• Members
Glass designs
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 12:25:30 PM »
Hi Anne and Dencill

Thanks for your replies and links which I will look into.  As far as I know there is no connection with the artist Seago.

Excuse my ignorance as I am new to the world of glass but perhaps you could advice me what is a glass cane?  :oops:  

Rob

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Glass designs
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 12:48:56 PM »
Robert, a cane is a very thin rod of glass that's commonly cut into thin slices as an included decoration, particularly paperweights. Grouping several together forms what can look like a single 'flower' and multiples of these is often referred to as millefiori (Italian: thousand flowers)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Glass designs
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 02:01:08 PM »

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Glass designs
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 05:58:01 PM »
Robert — from earlier replies you may be thinking that canes are always multicoloured.

Not so, as single colour canes are used to give a coloured spiral effect, by applying them to the object, marvering (rolling) them into the surface, and then twisting and blowing the outcome.    If you see a single tight spiral, that is what is called machine threading (actually a very skilled process — the "machine" is just a means of rotating the object at a steady speed).   Multiple spirals are made by the cane method.    I watched this cane process at Formia glassworks on Murano last year.    It was fascinating.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline robert vickers

• Members
Glass designs
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 05:31:21 PM »
Thanks to Frank and Bernard for your interesting replies.  They are very informative and I have been researching the links that you have all given me.  I must admit I did not appreciate what an intricate skill glass making is and its umpteen processes.  :shock:

I think I am now well and truly bitten by the 'glass' bug.  :P  

Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand