No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Easy - What About Other Pieces?  (Read 3826 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Whitefriars Easy - What About Other Pieces?
« on: February 11, 2006, 01:42:18 AM »
Hi

Some Blue glass I need a bit of help identifying – bought the other day (decanter bought a few months ago)

Fish vase: 9” long x 5” high. I am sure I have seen this chap somewhere before?

Vase cased with deep clear base, blue body with three split ‘flower head’ rim, lots of age ware, 1.3k weight, 8” high.

Smoky blue vase – thinner glass that thickens to a well worn base, the top is cut elliptical with fine grinding and polishing to rim, 7.5” high (flash photo, it is a clear vase not streaky).

Decanter in blue with indented design to centre (round disc shape 1” diam). Clear glass stopper with circular finial with texture to centre, ground pontil to base, 9” high

If only all the large rare ones were like this, not only a w/f label but a 9647 label to base – in such perfect condition.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 12:11:00 AM »
Hi

I have been doing a bit of researching - some basic ideas to work on

The fish is for putting candy or pebbles into and the closest I can get is 'Blenko' or 'Viking' (& other USA companies) - these have fins holding them up and mine does not have a pontil. knowing USA companies influences I would say this is Scandinavian or Italian.

The second vase seems to come up 'Zwiesel', I have photos in recent publications, usually we think of Zwiesel as having bubbles but they did many simple cased vases - this is very much one of their colours and the shape close?

Third vase is a shape I associate with 'Gullaskruf' designed by 'Arthur Percy' perhaps - similar to the 'Randi' vase but without the lines.

The decanter remains a mystery - Blenko did a version but the body was round - again this takes us to their infancies - in this case I think Scandinavian - it does have a pontil, I have checked 'Kosta' with no luck.

Just some thoughts - probably wrong, well I hope I am proved wrong with a positive ID :P

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 08:02:03 AM »
The decanter is Holmegaard. I've seen labeled examples before... I'm just struggling to find a photograph of one!  :lol:

I've two of these - one in blue, one clear glass - but neither have labels.  :(

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 09:44:48 AM »
:D:D:D

I've seen these fishies in contemporary furniture/household nick-nack shops, asked about a maker, but didn't get anywhere. :evil:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong. H.L.Mencken

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 02:12:18 PM »
Hi

Thanks  

I was thinking Holmegaard as is similar to the Kuttrolf

Ref fish - I think they have been making these since the 1920's - I have also seen modern versions (TK Max), mine has loads of ware to base, that fine line ware you get with age not just the odd scratch or two.

Adam P

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 08:23:08 AM »
Ah, finally found one with a label - although it's by Kastrup, I'm pretty sure they were still being made in to Holmegaard's reign... mainly because I'm definite those are the labels I've seen on them before. Either that or I'm going mad - either's likely at this point!  :lol:

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 11:09:26 AM »
Thanks Nic

I have Kuttrolf with 'Kastrup', 'Kastrup Holmegaard', and Holmegaard labels on - I am sure it was all within that transitional period.

Without a label mine could be any one of the above but I would call it 'Kastrup Holmegaard' to be historically correct.

Adam P :P  :P

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 11:19:24 AM »
I'm not sure whether this decanter is classed as a Kuttrolf, though, as I think the compartments have to be narrow in order to slow down the pour of liquid to really qualify. This is just pinched for decoration and easier handling. But don't quote me on that!

In the Kuttrolf department I'm lacking a newer labeled post Kastrup-Holmegaard example, but I have recently bought two 1940's/50's pre-KH ones with Holmegaard American export labels and untouched stopper seals which I'm pretty excited about.

I'm easily excitable, clearly.  :lol:

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 11:54:10 AM »
Hi Nic

Sorry my fault  :oops:  - not making myself clear enough, I am comparing the Kuttrolf to this oblong pinched vase as it seems to be on a similar time line.

No I don't think it's Kuttrolf - I don't know what it's called  

LOL   I only just got a great ID from you that it is Kastrup/Holmegaard

The above Kuttrolf is what I was talking about ref transitional labels - see how it is a similar colour to the oblong vase - the label is 'Kastrup - Holmegaard' showing that you are most likely right that they made this oblong vase under Holmegaard as well :wink:  :P

Adam P

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 12:32:52 PM »
Someone should write up a definitive timeline for Holmegaard/Kastrup labels, because I frequently get confused as to which label was used when... especially when you throw a handful of export labels into the mix!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand