No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Show and tell - Kralik Crackle and Welz yellow stripe  (Read 5858 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Show and tell - Kralik Crackle and Welz yellow stripe
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 11:41:11 PM »
You could always post pictures on the GMBs sister forum,pottery and collectables ;D ;D

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 08:37:19 AM »
Hi m  :hi:  I was brought up in Tanganyika, (now Tanzania), and would love to see pictures of the carving.  Do you know if it is old?  And, are you going to put it in the pottery and collectables forum?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 09:59:03 AM »
Rosie I grew up in South Africa where we emigrated as my dad was an engineer.  I don't have many pieces of African art probably because I was surrounded by it when we grew up so it I didn't consider it special - I regret that now.  We did the same in Hong Kong, so much available that we bought very little and now I regret that also.  I bought this here, I don't think it is a recent piece, but that is based on instinct more than anything else.  It's very large 2ft 3" or something and weighs 8kg.
pics here for you to see -it's difficult to photograph so apologies.  Keith I'm interested in where you think the table may be from (posted in the post below this) - is it English or oriental do you think?
The table you referred to as oriental is a long low elm I think, console table from Hong Kong, one of the few pieces we did bring back.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 10:01:38 AM »
carved table

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
Wow, I didn't know that m, and I have to say that is a great carving.....not a tourist piece.  It would have been a family piece, held and revered in the home, and brought out for ceremonies.

I have a few genuine East African carvings, (not tourist stuff) and am so glad I have them.....one was made for me when I was just 5 years old in Nachingwea.....it is lovely.
My Dad was an engineer as well, trying to grow groundnuts after the war.  There was a 5 year drought and so it was a 'failure', but the sceptics all said it was due to poor planning!!  Well, what about the plight in Africa now with the drought.....no one says it is poor planning now!! Off my soap box now!

Lovely table....I haven't got any Asian art or furniture.  :cry:

Rosie.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 08:20:32 PM »
M,Rosie,lucky 'jet setters' I was born in Brum and raised in the 'Black Country' Morocco is the furthest I've been :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
 The table looks very Chinese to me,bamboo style legs etc.. the console table has similar shape to a modern(about 20 years old) Chinese table we have,pic' below

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 09:24:53 AM »
That is some display table Keith, think of the collective hours of work that went into making the table and the glass paperweights displayed on it.....amazing.
I wasn't a Jet setter, just dagged out there as a baby, now we just motor to France each year, I have no yen to return to E Africa. BTW I was born in Liverpool, a proper Scouser! :sun:
Rosie.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »
Keith your paperweights look fantastic on that table  :sun:  What a great display.
Our table came back with us from Hong Kong.  It has been made/adapted from old Elm.  It has drawers in and to the best of my knowledge the Chinese didn't have drawers in their cabinets (open to correction here), so I believe it is an adapted piece. 
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 11:53:46 PM »
Thanks Rosie,M,not so hot on Chinese furniture myself rather like Japanese cloisonne and satsuma ware and would probably have much more if it wasn't so expensive,haven't been to Liverpool since I was 10,so that was sometime go! :thud:a very long time! ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand